SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
woodswell

Restore or Refinish Antique Piano?

woodswell
17 years ago

I've just been put in custody of the "family" piano, a Sohmer Cabinet Grand. It was made somewhere around 1905 and has probably been in the family since it was new.

Unfortunately, the most recent custodians of the piano did not take very good care of it and the finish is in pretty rough shape:

The man who unloaded the piano for me here is a piano tuner and restorer. He will be tuning it soon, but he also suggests completely restoring the finish. My parents are concerned that will hurt the value of the piano as an antique, though they would not be adverse to cleaning up the finish.

Aside from the obvious white marks on the front, the entire finish has an alligator crackle all over. In addition, there is an area on the top where someone set a hot iron and a place on one side of the keyboard where someone placed a glass and the finish is completely gone leaving the wood exposed.

Under the lid on the top, the original quality of the mahogany wood and smooth finish can be seen - that would be nice, to be able to appreciate that beauty.

Any advice?

Thanks!

Anne

Comments (6)