SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
swflagrdnr

refinishing an old piano

swflagrdnr
17 years ago

Hi

We just received as a gift an old (c.50 years) upright piano from my mother in law. I cannot tell what kind of wood it is (it's not walnut, pine or oak, I can tell that much), but is is stained, not painted. Also, its wood - not plastic, but does have some veneers. Maybe mahogany?

The piano is a very small upright and I doubt it was an expensive, high end model even when new.

It's varnished with many scratches and scores, but none of the peeling or bubbling sometimes seen on older varnished pieces. Some panels/sections/pieces are stained darker than others for a decorative contrast.

I want to do a quick and easy re-finish job. I have fairly low expectations and do not expect to make it look like new. Also, if some or even most of the scratches remain visible, so be it.

I was thinking I would:

1- clean well, removing all old dust, dirt, oils and grease.

2- do a very light sanding job all over

3- pay special attention sanding and smoothing to any chipped corners/edges

4- one or two coats of a stain seeking to match the original color, going a little lighter if need be, not a little darker

5- top it off with a coat or two of varnish.

I don't think I need to worry about the acoustical qualities of the finish. The piano is for our children to learn on and play at home, not for the audience at Carnegie hall. (Of course, if there is something that I must avoid at all costs or else it will devastate the sound of the piano, please warn me!)

I have never re-finsihed anything and do not have a lot of time to do this project. Ideally, not counting time waiting for coats to dry, it should not take more than 5 hours.

Q: How does my plan sound, in general?

Q: Do I need to remove/strip ALL of the old varnish before I re-stain? Candidly, I don't have the space, time or resources to use a furntiure stripper.

Q: Are there any adequate finishes that combine a stain and a varnish in one?

Q: is there a simpler way - such as a high gloss wax/polish that could simple be wiped on, buffed and polished?

Thanks!

Comments (6)