SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cliff_and_joann

Antique Table Restored. Pics

cliff_and_joann
15 years ago

We have this table that I love next to the sofa in the LR.

I love the size and the legs, all hand carved.

It belonged to Cliff's Grandfather and is 100 years old plus. We inherited it with about 9 bad (deep) cigarette burns, and the top was dull and you could hardly make out that it was a chess/checker board on top, the tiles were so blackened... Over the years I managed to do further damage to it by keeping plants on top.

There were about 12 tiles that were completely up from the water damage, 4 of them bucked beyond repair. I said to Cliff, "we need a new top." He said, that he had some nice mahogany downstairs, and would I like a mahogany top? I said, whatever he wanted to do was ok, as long as the top was the same size and same thickness.

Well, he bought this up last night and was I surprised beyond belief.. He repaired and refinished the old top. Glued the old tiles back and had to make 4 new tiles. Refinished the top to a beautiful bright luster. There is just a hint of two cigarette burns, but they look like natural marks in the wood. You can't tell the new tiles from the old tiles as a matter of fact, he couldn't remember which ones he replaced. The color of the top and tiles is so bright now and looks so wonderful in the corner. Before I had to keep books on top to hide the top because it was in such bad condition. IF I knew he was going to restore it, I woul'd have taken pic's of the old top to show the dramatic difference.

Please tell me if you like the way I accessorised the top, I am open to change. The wood piano is a bank Cliff got for his 3rd birthday. I usually keep it on our piano.:)

Here's a better shot of the legs.

Comments (30)