SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
valinsv

See pics of my new (to me) antique dining set!!!

Valerie Noronha
16 years ago

You may recall a few posts from me asking to see pics of your dining sets and then help with finding an antique dining set. We looked at several antique stores as well as scoured eBay and Craigslist. We finally settled on what I think is a "steal" on Craiglist and brought it home today. The really odd part is that we found a date stamp on the sideboard and it's 41-04-11 (which is exactly 66 years from today's date)! The buffet I know is by Drexel, not sure about the table and chairs--though the table is solid mahagony with the banding around the edge with 3 leaves and the chairs are the shieldback that I like. We did manage to get 8 chairs, only one of the arms of the armchairs is damaged and will need to be repaired. We were not initially in the market for a sideboard, but it came along with the dining set at a price that was too good to pass up. I really like it there, though we did need to shift the table a few inches off center for chair clearance, but I don't think it's too obvious and now that I have the sideboard, I *love* it. At some point we may have the set refinished as it has some surface scratches including a big one on the table top that fortunately is covered by the table runner and add new upholstery to the chairs.

{{gwi:1854798}}

{{gwi:1723653}}

{{gwi:1877394}}

Since we plan to host our friends for Thanksgiving, needless to say, I am absolutely thrilled to have such a beautiful set for a fraction of the cost of a new one and in time for turkey day! Next steps, will be to get a floor rug, drapery (plan is for silk dupioni), and accesorize the sideboard. I need to switch gears towards the living room since I really want the furniture for these two rooms in place by Christmas so hope to get more helpful tips from everyone here.

Any tips and suggestions will be most welcome--even though I may not be able to act right away on decorating. The interior designer we had over on Friday suggested a big mirror over the sideboard area, but neither DH nor I like the idea of seeing a reflection of ourselves while eating. Other ideas? I would like to do 2 tall buffet lamps.

I plan to ask my neightbor who does a lot of carpentry/cabinet work if he can repair the chair for me unless people think it would be better to take to a place which specializes in antiques. It really looks like a simple glue and clamp job and want to do quickly before it breaks any further.

{{gwi:1881364}}

Comments (19)