SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cjlerch_gw

Indentifying Antique Mantel Clock

cjlerch
14 years ago

Hello,

My wife and I recently purchased an antique mantel clock for our one year wedding anniversary in Salisbury, North Carolina. We are not familiar with the subject matter, so I was wondering if anyone could provide some insight.

I discovered from the dealer that the clock has a German two jeweled movement made by Henry E. Frett. As you can see in the picture, the rear door is engraved 'Henry E. Frett - Craftmember - British Horological - Institute # 7890'.

Also, the dealer informed me that this clock was distributed through the Marshall & Field Co. Dept. stores. There is a Marshall Field & Co. name applied to the dial of the clock. I have since discovered that the name changed to Marshall Field's in 1982. This is the only sort of dating I have been able to identify thus far.

The driver license number of the original owner has been very crudely carved into the back of the movement, the inside rear door, and into the wood framing inside the clock. This seems very strange to me. Is anyone familiar with this sort of practice? Why do this? Why in three different locations?

Any help in identifying more details concerning this clock would be greatly appreciated. There appears to be very little information on the web concerning Henry E. Frett. I also would be interested in learning more about why one would carve license numbers as done so on this clock. We paid $200 for the clock and it appears to be in very nice condition both physically and functionally. THANK YOU!

**Please click to see the pictures (http://photobucket.com/clock_2009)

Here is a link that might be useful: **Please click to see the pictures**

Comments (18)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths