SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kathyanddave_gw

rec room/ bedroom? ...............(long)

kathyanddave
16 years ago

Hi All, I posted a similar message in the small homes forum and would like to get your advise too. My DH and I live in a raised ranch with half of the basement being a garage and the other half finished into a small (15' x 10') rec room with a bar. Last year we built a detached 3 car garage and now are planning on finishing the garage side of the basement for more space. We have narrowed the design down to 2 options. The first would give us a master bedroom 11' x 15' with TWO 6' x 6' his and hers walk in closets, and a small bathroom. Currently our master is 11'x10' and we only have ONE 2'x5' reach in closet with a small bathroom. OR we could turn the whole basement into a huge recroom with a bathroom.

Bedroom pros: Larger master

2 large closets vs 1 small closet

Bedroom cons: In basement so probably a few of those

yucky wolf spiders :( (I am terrified of

spiders)

Either all of the computer and workout

equipment or all of the kids toys would

have to go into the old master bedroom,

so on my main level I would always have

one 'junky' room.

We would be on a different level than the

kids.

Rec room pros: All of the junky 'basement' stuff ie.

computer, workout equipment, toys, etc would

be in the basement.

Bigger open area for entertaining or family

get togethers

Kids could play downstairs and out of our

hair.

Rec room cons: I have to live with a very small master

with only one closet and transfer all of

my off season clothes to a closet downstairs

every single season for as long as we live

there.

On the small home forum someone suggested that we make it a rec room and possibly convert it to a bedroom later when the kids are bigger, but our stairs come down in the middle of the house and if we go with the rec room, we'd like to open the stairway up so it would visually connect the two sides of the basement, also I probably won't build 2 walk in closets in the room if we go with a rec room. So that is my question, its kinda an either/or situation and I'd love to hear some input on what the masses would prefer. There is a door to the outside which would be in the bedroom so it would be up to code.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath