SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cslambert_gw

Interesting arts and crafts mystery desk

cslambert
9 years ago

Hello everyone! Please click HERE to view pictures of a peculiar old desk I found for 30.00 in a peddlers mall.

At first glance, it seemed like a typical oak desk, but upon closer inspection, its quality became apparent. Hand cut dovetails on drawer and cabinet carcass, scribed mortise and tenon joinery, elegant turnings, an interesting scribed 2 tone design on the drawer carcass side. all solid quartersawn oak and ash, save for drawer bottoms-- which are plywood. Nails are round. I assume 1920-1940 on this piece agewise.

I am not sure what purpose of the desk was used for, but it certainly appears to be a custom job by a professional/ talented amateur. There are several small drawers (all missing knobs unfortunately) that have no sides. Just an ash front rabetted into a poplar ply bottom, and a poplar back butt jointed and nailed into the ply. These appear all original.

I wonder what purpose these drawers would have served? Maybe the craftsman got lazy after all of the other good craftsmanship on this desk and skipped the sides?

Anyone have any answers or observations on this piece?

Comments (8)