SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
myrealnameismama_goose

Vintage silverplate engagement gift

I'd like to give my son and his fiance an engagement gift of vintage silverplate flatware. I was fortunate to find a complete 5-pc service for 12, with their monogram, but the only serving pieces included were 2 master butter knives, and 2 sugar spoons. I had a few pieces of the same pattern already (Community/Grosvenor), then found another partial set that had most of the serving pieces (probably more than they'll ever use), but a couple of the larger pieces are quite pitted. They are useable, and once they're stuck in the mashed potatoes no one would notice the pitting, but should I include those pieces in the gift, or hold them back and ask my future DIL if she'd like them, later?

Gravy Ladle:

Casserole/Berry Spoon:

Or, should I give just the monogrammed set, boxed, as a gift, then quietly give them the partial sets and serving pieces later? I don't have a lot invested, less than $1.00/piece, but so far I've collected 153 pieces. The kids are fairly casual about entertaining, so I'm going to give them my blessing to use the silverplate for everyday flatware. Son and fiance were friends in HS, kept in contact, then started dating a couple of years ago, so fiance is very comfortable in our home, with all my vintage/antique/just plain old, stuff. I use mismatched pieces everyday, but I'm not quite sure about the gift-giving etiquette.

Serving Pieces:

The whole spread:

I know some of you use silverplate or sterling every day, so I'd like your opinions. Thank you!

Comments (26)