SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
harebelle

Antiques Fairs, Revisited

harebelle
14 years ago

I am adding another show (extremely excited to be part of this one!) and am indecently curious about your take on antiques fairs in general. I know that I asked similar a few months ago but this post is specific to shows. Hopefully this is okay to do, as it's not advertising. It's purely curiosity.

Do you go to venues where there is parking and catered food service? Or is shuttling and chance fare okay?

Do you attend events where the venue or the exhibitors can arrange shipping and delivery or do you simply haul your purchases away yourself?

Do you have particular seasons when you prefer to go to or exhibit at shows?

Do you prefer vetted shows or similar where exhibitors are required to know their stuff; or do you prefer to take your chances or rely on your own knowledge?

Do you go with a specific era in mind, or are you open to objects from periods outside your expertise?

Do you go in hope of finding a good piece for your decor or as a spotter for another dealer, or are you buying with specific clients in mind, or is this all a mighty adventure?

Do you go to learn about antiques (therefore sign up for the lectures) or don't you care as long as you go home with a treasure?

Do you go to venues offering 1000 dealers or to venues with only a few dozen exhibitors?

Do you go to venues offering free or cheap appraisals by non-certified people? If so, do you follow up on their comments by research of your own?

Have you attended venues where objects are obviously mis-identified, married, or suffer heavy attrition, of which the seller is apparently unaware? If so, do you offer to help the seller correct the discrepancies?

When you pick up an exhibitor's business card, do you indicate on it a specific item in which you are interested? Do you call the telephone number listed, or do you prefer to visit a website first?

If you are at a fair, do you expect to see a range between collectibles and higher end merchandise, or do you pick shows based on typical merchandise that is pretty standard in era and value from booth to booth?

For those of you located in Northeastern US what shows have you done, visited, or recommend?

If you feel like getting into all this I would love to know what you think!

Comments (2)