SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
valinsv

Built-in Office Revisited - Which Finish??

Valerie Noronha
15 years ago

We are zeroing in on a workable layout. We have given the job to bid to three desigers with the following results:

designer one (Closets by Design): like the finishes, some pieces not the right size, most $$, designer too inexperienced, no elevations.

designer two (CA Closets): designer very competitent, good elevations, like the cabinets, best pricing (including 10% discount for Costco customers), finishes are not as nice.

designer three (Closet World): designer experiences, very busy and not responsive and has not returned with either a designer or quote after one week. We've been there done that trying to pursuers workers who are very busy.

DH would like to work with CA Closets since the product itself is comparable to the other two and I feel very comfortable working with the designer and she has provided elevations and CAD drawings. We have a very challenging space with angled walls and it's very small so no room for errors. I see his point we do tend to go overboard sometimes and have already spent a lot of money on our remodel so may not be good to put too much more money in this house we could not recoup if we ever needed to sell.

Since our office is really more of an alcove off of the master bedroom which is reached via a short hallway (no door), I feel it needs to blend with the overall decor of the bedroom. My top two choices were to either match to the bedroom/master bath furniture which is all a dark cherry or to go with an antique white. Given these are not available, we've been considering other options. DH does not want a white offic. They only have basic white (too white) or an almond. I don't want anything too close to the bedroom furniture as then it looks like we tried to match and failed so think we need to go different. We have compromised on a finish called candlelight--which is always the 4th one over in the series.

Do you think it will look OK or should we choose something else or try harder to work it out with the other two? It really blends in with the floor, but perhaps that is a good thing in a small space to make it feel larger. DH said if we really want to use Closet by Design (approx. $3K more) we would ask for a more experienced designer to be assigned to our job.

Comments (14)