SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sivyaleah

Revisiting My Backsplash Dilemma:Question About WZ Gramercy Park

Laurie
11 years ago

So. Here we are more than a year since the kitchen was finished plus or minus (still some other minor tweaking needed to find ways to hide errors made oy), and the backsplash still has not been picked.

It isn't that I don't like anything. I do. I just am not able to find something which looks right with my Jerusalem Sand Ceasarstone. You'd think a neutral countertop would be easy to match. No. Not in this case.

I keep coming back to subway tiles, because I'm in a 1915 home, Craftsman style. I want something simple, it's just what feels right to me, especially since I had a slate floor put down which has several colors in it, which works well with the counter and wall color I eventually picked; sort of rose/terra cotta. The walls pick up undertones in the counters so that works also. The hardware is copper - which works with the floor and cabinet, and the grout was done in gray which picks up the stainless steel of the appliances.

But all the subway tiles I see which are "neutral" either look too white (in fact, you can see in the attached photo that the marble utensil holder I have is way too white next to it) or yellow against the counter and cabinets. I need something with more beige, brown, or pink undertones. Something warmer which won't compete with the rest of the room. I don't want to go with anything cool/blue. I'm trying to avoid picking up that color from the floor; I don't mind it down there since it's mixed in with other colors but don't like blue as a main focal point in kitchens.

Anyway - I came across Walker Zanger's Gramercy Park while browing through the forum today. I love the crackle finish, and the trims to match (particularly the flowered ones since my garden is right outside the kitchen sliding door). But, of course on my screen it's hard to tell the exact colors. I'll probably order samples. I work in architecture, and we've used WZ in project I believe, so there's probably a rep I can call.

In the interim I was wondering if anyone here has used the Antique Linen or the Bone China? Maybe even the Hampton Beige. I'm pretty sure Heirloom White won't work. The photos on the website are way too small to make any kind of decent assessment, plus I can't even find photos of them with a counter that is similar to mine.

Here's a couple of photos of the kitchen, if it helps.

Thanks!

Comments (12)