SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chipshot_gw

Refrigerators, GE vs. Whirlpool and Top-Freezer vs. French Doors

chipshot
16 years ago

I am looking for an auxiliary refrigerator/freezer for or laundry room. It will augment the 48" cabinet-depth refrigerator/freezer in our kitchen as well as provide easy access for outdoor entertaining. On one side of the unit will be an exterior wall, and on the other side will be cabinets.

I had originally planned the largest top-freezer GE I could find (Whirlpool and Kenmore had nothing approaching its 24.6 cubic feet of combined capacity). Now I'm wondering whether we might be better off with a bottom-freezer "french door" configuration. I consider pull-out freezer drawers a pain to dig through (sort of like a sock drawer) and wonderful places to lose things, but my 5'0" wife finds them handy. And the twin opposing refrigerator doors might be more handy than the single large door of the top-freezer unit (I had planned to have it open away from the exterior wall to maximize access for trays and other large items).

While GE, Whirlpool, and Kenmore all offer 24.8 - 25.1 cubic foot french door models, there is a very wide range of prices. Whirlpool starts with a $1,499 unit, but the price of entry for GE is $2,049 and for Kenmore it's $1,850 (on sale for $1450 through tomorrow, but I won't be in a position to purchase that quickly). I can compare features to see whether the difference is caused by the presence of additional things such as water dispensers that don't matter to me but want to know whether there are "core differences" between the brands that make one's refrigerators inherently worth more than the others. Do GE, Kenmore and Whirlpool refrigerators use the same basic technology and materials? Does one offer a better warranty? How else to decide between them?

I'm really not sold on the french door design. Is it just the latest design fashion, or do people really find them more useful? That center seal between the refrigerator doors looks like trouble to me, and I think I might find having to open both sides inconvenient. Maybe there's something about the design that I simply don't appreciate. If that's the case I look forward to being educated.

Comments (17)