SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rwiegand_gw

Superautomatic espresso advice please

rwiegand
10 years ago

Looking for a new super automatic espresso machine. The variety of machines available seems to have exploded but it's very hard to tell them apart.

My needs/wants are as follows:

-- I don't need anything related to milk, so dont care about frothers, double boilers for steam, milk reservoirs, etc. The machine needs only to make coffee.
-- I most frequently make a very long shot, ~3 oz, 2-3 times into a travel mug for a sort of "Americano", but also pull some traditional espresso shots. It would be nice to have a machine with tall enough spouts that I didn't have to hold my cup at an angle under the spout during the brewing process, and would like to be able to push the button three times for three shots and walk away.
-- general use is ~10 shots/day
-- hotter is better, within limits
-- bypass doser is nice to have
-- both machines I've had before have required frequent and expensive service, one that holds up better would be nice. I've liked the repairability of the Saeco, where it was easy to pull the brew group and replace all the O-rings periodically, haven't liked the $2-400 repair bill every 2-3 years for other parts failures.
I use fresh beans (e.g. oily), typically Peets Major Dickison's Blend.

Past machines are a Estro (Saeco) Magic Deluxe which produced >10,000 shots over two decades and a Jura X90, which has been proclaimed too big for our kitchen.

I'd love to stay under $1000.

If you have a suggestion for me I'd be most appreciative. Manual, semi automatic, or automatic machines are not an option even though they might make better coffee for less money. Used machines are fine.

Comments (23)