SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oceanside2006

What would you do? Problem with upstairs smoker

oceanside2006
17 years ago

I just moved into an apartment I enjoy 3 months ago.

The woman who rents above me, has been living there 7 years. I don't mind her footstep noises, since it's generally muffled. I don't even mind it when she plays her stereo booming loud for an hour or two once a day.

The main problem is this: I'm allergic to cigarette smoke. My sinuses get badly infected, then I develop wheezing, coughing, and bronchitis if I'm exposed too long.

The woman upstairs is a heavy smoker. I cannot smell her smoke below me, but she has a habit of throwing her cigarettes down on my porch, and in my small garden of flowers. I am so sensitive to smoke, I can smell it when she throws one down off of her porch that is still burning.

She doesn't even stub them out half of the time. :(

In one day I can collect anywhere from 3 - 6 off my front porch, and close to 3 or 4 daily off the patio.

I don't want to bother the owner with this. I went upstairs and asked her nicely not to throw down her cigarettes on my porch or patio anymore. She just looked at me and said 'okay, alright' then slammed her door. I heard her on her balconey later saying 'I've been living here 7 years and no one is going to tell me what to do around here'.

She hasn't stopped. Every day I go out with a mask on if one is burning, stomp it out, and put on gloves and throw them away.

How would you handle this situation in the most adult way possible? The idea of going to the owner with this just seems so petty. I do not want to be the 'complainer' either.

I'm not anti-smoker either. I don't care if someone smokes, as long as they respect other's space.

Thanks

Comments (10)

Sponsored
More Discussions