SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
midwestmama_gw

Currently Only Building Storage Room... What am I forgetting

midwestmama
12 years ago

We built our house as general contractor based on the wonderful advice we got here. We moved in October 2010. We have no internet out here other than my cell phone so I haven't been on here much since then.

Now we're getting ready to work on the basement some. My husband was in a very serious motorcycle accident this summer and it has limited our funds and we're way behind on our to do lists in general now as he was unable to walk for more than 3 months. We're only looking to put in the storage room at this point to build in the shelving units. This will allow us to organize and clean up everything so the rest of the basement is clean and ready when we are. Also, we have a few other projects that need to be worked on. For example, we were midway through the front porch when the accident happened, but the winter has limited that work. I got it finished to the point of only needing the gingerbreading and some more paint.

We have planned out the design of the basement prior to construction of the house. The plan is to just build two partition walls at this time. We were not going to finish, frame, or insulate the exterior walls in the storage room. Our basement has never seemed hot or cold in the last year and we haven't conditioned it at all yet (though it has all ducts and zoning done, we didn't turn any of it on) Is there any reason to do more than frame up the walls so I can creat my shelving units? I can add wiring, insullation, etc... to those walls from the other side when we are ready to finish the rooms on the other side of it.

Thanks in advance. I've been enjoying reading up on this forum, including ceiling options etc...

Comments (3)