SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
luyza_gw

Reasonable to tell landlord that I MUST be there, for showings?

luyza
13 years ago

Here's the story.

I have been here for 2 years.

Whenever landlord or apartment maintenance come by, they will leave the door open.

I have a cat. All cats here must be indoor cats.

In the past, I've made sure that I am home when maintenance comes by, about 12 times last year, and times so far this year. (Neighbor was throwing baby wipes and tampons down the toilet, which was clogging all our stuff). I'm glad I've been home for those maintenance times, because they just leave the door open.

So I hold on to my cat while they are here.

A few times I have asked "Could you please make sure you close the door, because of my cat?". "Oh, sure, no problem!". 2 minutes later, they leave the door open again.

One time they were painting the wall "frames", and... for some reason, they removed the screen, painted... picked up their stuff, and left the window open, without putting the screen back in!

My cat has run away once because of this.

I am moving, and the landlord wants to show the place to possible new tenants. I understand this, ofcourse.

What can I do to make sure he does not come in unless I *AM* here? I don't want to risk my cat getting lost just before I move almost 2 hours away from here!

In the past when I have reminded him to keep the door closed, he "forgets". No amount of reminders seem to make it sink in.

Please help me! I'm really scared of this!

Also... when I move to the new apartment, how do I make sure the new landlord will close the door? :-/ I had a piece of paper stuck to the door, big letters, saying to close the door as you come in, but current landlord and maintenance seem pretty dense. *sigh*

Comments (19)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!