SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
buzzhd

What can I do if landlord or Mgt ignore me

buzzhd
19 years ago

I've been living in the rental apt for more than 3 years. Last November a new tenant (a couple and 22-month kid) moved in. I am living on the 1st floor and they are above me. Ok, you guess it, noises ever since. The kid is running, stomping, playing toys and dropping toys on the uncarpeted wood floor. I complained to them, but they were not friendly. I called the mgt office and wrote letters a month ago, but didn't get any response from them. I even threatned to stop paying the rent. All is in vain. I don't know what to do next. I still have at least 9 months on the lease. Everyday I hate to go back home early and hate to stay home during the weekend. The noises drive me nuts. As far as I know the tenant should put rugs or carpeting on the floor in all apartment building in NYC with at least 80% coverage.

Is it legal to stop/withhold the rent? What will happen if I don't pay the rent? Can I break the lease? Can I sue the landlord/mgt office and/or the neighbor upstairs for not complying the lease to put down carpets and for not enforcing the law?

I read some posts involving the noises complaints. I can feel I am not alone.

Comments (16)

Sponsored