SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vivalaewan

Bad Neighbors, Bad Building, Bad Landlord

vivalaewan
14 years ago

I'm looking for legal advice and\or just advice. I've been living in a two bedroom apartment with my husband and three year old son for three years. When I first moved in when my son was a few weeks old, I noticed how shady Mr. Landlord is. He would come over to collect rent in cash only. That was fine, but he usually always made it this huge big deal when I asked for a recipt. Too bad, I wasn't giving him cash without one, so he would give in and write down on MY scratch paper. (How professional)

For several months, (And still to this day) He'll collect his rent, and then one, or two days later, he'll come for it again. He is an alcoholic. When he talks I can smell it and it irratates me. Not to mention I know for a fact he smokes marijuana when he's fixing other apartments in the building. I've seen and smelled the joint.

Now, I live in a type of building that was a house years and years ago. There is 4.5 apartments. (.5 being a basement flat. I live in the upstairs, in number three. Now. I'm the only one in the building with a child (and another on the way). I've seen children visit, but never stay here.

The people across the hall from me, (Will be Named #4.) Moved in just early this spring.. They, Again..Smoke marijuana. Drink constantly. Slam their front door. And Beat on the wall in my son's bedroom to wake him up from a nap. Now, I've called the police on them three seperate times. The first time, They blasted their music at 2 in the morning, and woke my son up. (Their living room, is right next to my sons room. The walls are paper thin. If it's quiet enough, I can hear them carry on a conversation.) I got super upset, and at the time my son was battling a nasty cold. I first banged on their door to tell them to turn it down, and they didn't answer - but turned their stereo down. Fine. I walked back into my unit, and once I shut the door (My door squeaks loudly) They turned it back up. I knocked on their door three MORE times, and still had the same thing happen. I got fed up, and called the cops.

The cops of course, knocked. No answer. So, they ended up leaving. Half a hour later, the music started again and I gave up and had my son sleep with us.

The second time we called, My husband just came home from work and Ms. #4 began to bang on our door and told me she needed help. Mr #4 wanted to kill her. She begged me to let her stay there for a while so he could cool down. I could smell beer on her breath and I said fine. I didn't know what to do, so I made her a cup of coffee and we watched the news together. By the time she wanted to leave, it was dark. And as soon as she left, I heard horrible screams. I opened my door, with cell in hand, and seen mr #4 beat her down the flight of stairs in our hallway. I quickly shut my door and dialed 911. She screamed for my husband to help her and Mr #4 just kept telling her to shut up. I actually heard him beating her. And as soon as the dispatcher got hold of a police officer, mr #4 ran on his bicycle. (By the way, we are also the only ones in the building with a car. Shocker)

Ms. #4 hid herself with the neighbors in #1 downstairs. They gave her a new t-shirt because mr #4 ripped it to shreds. She had a bruised eye, two scratches on her throat and her lip was bleeding pretty bad. I guess she cleaned herself up and as soon as the cops showed up, I ran downstairs. I told them everything. And once they questioned Ms #4, she of course said. "Nothing happen. I've been drinking and I fell." Of course the cop didn't believe her, but without pressing charges they let Mr #4 go. The third time, They slashed my tires, and threatend to kill me. Again, called the police - they ignored the knocking - and I can't prove them harrassing me or them slashing my tires when I clearly heard them yell at my front door telling me to look at my car.

Now, I stopped calling the police. It seems as if I can't do anything, so why bother. The reason why I'm writing a thread is now that they are still continuing to threaten me and my son. Just two days ago, they called DCFS saying I neglect and abuse my son, and that my husband beats me. The officer of course questioned my son, who began to cry so bad. I felt so helpless for him, and They wouldn't even let me calm him down. They had to go to another room and interview my three year old. Of course they found nothing.

They made me roll up my sleeves (I was wearing a sweatshirt when they showed up) to show that my husband gave me no bruises. Now by this point I have told my landlord, and my landlord doesn't care. All he tells me is to stop bothering him and if someone hits someone then someone is getting evicted. Are you kidding me? He's going to let it get to that? Now, Mr &Ms #4 both have children uner 18. But why don't they have them? Mr #4 has been convicted for drugs and his ex-wife refuses to let him see two kids, and Ms. #4 abused her 7-year old daughter while she was intoxicated. Go figure. And they call DCFS on me? What is wrong with this world?

I want to move so bad, but thanks to the economy - I lost my job a few months ago. My husband is an electrician at a university but between rent, bills, taking care of children it's hard. I just need some advice on what to do. I live in Illinois.

And I have a month-to-month lease. Great, eh?

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022