SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
studiovette

Cabin in the woods with crawl space. Need your advice.

studiovette
10 years ago

I just purchased a 1000sqft vacation cabin in the PA woods. During the home inspection a few weeks back when we opened the home you could smell the dampness coming from the crawl and the floor was ice cold. Granted the heat was turned down to 50 as the home owner was not living there for a while and the home had been closed up for a while. The owner stated he runs a dehumidifier but was too cheap to keep it running since the home was vacant. I did go back for the final walk through and saw the humidifier and smell was gone.
My home inspector detected some moisture damage to the joists in the crawl that I am going to have fixed but want to prevent it from happening again. No standing water was evident but efforescence (probably spelled wrong) on the cylinder blocks was also noted. The crawl space spans the entire living area and is probably about 4 ft in height. Currently it just has a plastic type vapor barrier on the floor but no joists insulation and the walls are bare. So my concern is that in the winter months its extremely cold and sometimes can be damp since I am surrounded by trees and shade. The summer has to be even worse with humidity levels but I have no experienced it yet. So I'm torn whether to seal the crawl space or leave it vented. I should note that my electric water heater is in the crawlspace.

I have gotten some estimates from 2 very good sources that are trusted and recommended by others in the area. I did weed out some others that were totally ridiculously over priced.

Quote for sealing it by adding a 6 mil vapor barrier, 2" foam board on the walls and Install un-faced fiberglass insulation around rim joist (box beam) and doing all the wood repairs was $4200 with a dehumidifier and back up sump installed

Quote for keeping it vented with r30 insulation a vapor barrier for the ground and dehumidifier draining outdoors was $2000

So I'm not sure what way I should go here for my particular situation. Any feedback would greatly be appreciated and sorry for the long post.

Comments (2)