SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wahoo71

Wood Floor Cupping Over Crawl Space

wahoo71
6 years ago

I have solid oak flooring that's cupping. I've read a lot on the subject and would like to get opinions for the best solution. Here are the details:

-I have a ridiculously large crawl space (6' to 14' high underneath) over 2300 sq. feet. I know it should have been a walk out basement but it isn't.

-I have plastic sheeting over the dirt but nothing on the walls.

-I run a normal 90 pint dehumidifier connected by hose to a drainage line to outside. I plugged up the vents with foam board and sealed with expanding foam.

-When the dehumidifier is running well the floors are good but the dehumidifiers only last a year or two then give out. I know when they give out as the floors start to cup and I go under and sure enough the humidity is up, dehumidifier iced up etc.

Some things I've considered but I'm not sure what the best option is:

1. Buy a dehumidifier made for crawl spaces with the hopes they last much longer. They'r pretty pricey, around $1,200 or so and use a ton of electricity.

2. seal the cement block walls in the crawl. This would be a huge job as the walls are tall. Either seal with something like Thoroseal or plastic sheeting. I wonder how much humidity comes through the cement blocks. Not so much that the small dehumidifier couldn't keep up with in the past. If sealed I'm guessing it wouldn't solve the problem and I'd still need to run a dehumidifier but I'm not sure.

3. Replace the wood floors entirely with new wood floors but with an underlayment that blocks the moisture completely. I don't know if this would work; would love opinions.

4. any other suggestions?

Thanks for your help.

Comments (3)