SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
susandumond

Radiant Heated Floors over a crawl space in a kitchen

susandumond
9 years ago

Does anyone know if electric radiant heated floors will warm up my kitchen which is partially built over a crawl space? We added a 200 sq. foot addition to our kitchen 18 years ago. It is over a crawl space. The kitchen has been cold ever since we did that. We had insulation blown into the crawl space and the exterior wall of the addition. New furnace was put in a few years ago and we replaced all our windows in the house. It has helped to a degree but in the cold winters, I still need to use an electric heater in my kitchen. Now 18 years later I am about to remodel my kitchen and add on another 100-150 sq. feet. Since I'm redoing the floor, now would be the time to consider other heating options. I read a lot about electric radiant heat and also radiant heat with water. I know that the heated water option involves a lot more upfront cost and also I believe I would have to raise the floor to accommodate it? Is this just overkill for my additions? Would an electric radiant heated floor do the trick or is that only good in small area? I know many people use it for a bathroom but my kitchen is rather large. I would hate to put in one option and then still feel cold. Yet I don't want to overkill the situation either. Can anyone give advise? I can give the actual dimensions of my kitchen. The original part of the kitchen is over my basement. Just the 200 sq. feet are over a crawl space.

Comments (3)