SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zeffyrose

My Grandmother's Doll

zeffyrose
21 years ago

Just thought I'd share this precious doll with all of you.

My Grandmother gave her to me when I was in third grade---(around 1938)somehow my baby sister dropped her and of course the china head was destroyed and we did not have a picture of her.

I am now 73yrs. and over the years,I've tried to replace the head---to no avail --she is 36in.tall and couldn't find an authentic head.One day a couple of years ago ,I was in an antique shop in Mullica Hill,N.J. and met this lovely lady from Wilm.Del. She had a friend who had a reproduction of an antique mold which she thought would work. So trusting soul that I am, I gave her the body of my doll.

My trust was rewarded---and her friend put this head on the doll..I'm very happy with it---I know a purist would probably not like this head, but I am thrilled

All her clothes are the original even the pantaloons.---the hands are "Kid" and the feet are cloth--Her clothes are in remarkably good condition.I put a lace doilie around her neck to cover her "wounds" from her "surgery"

She is well over 100 yrs. old---my mother was born in 1902 and this was her mother's doll.so I figure it is from sometime in the 1880's

Just thought you would enjoy her as much as I do.

Florence/zeffyrose

Comments (5)