SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
esq166

Hoosier tension -- should we refinish, let go, or learn to love?

esq166
17 years ago

We picked up a genuine Hoosier at a local antique store a few months back and stored it in our garage awaiting the completion of the new kitchen that was to be its home. Now our kitchen's mostly in, so we've brought the Hoosier in and placed it in its designated spot....and my DW hates it. Our new kitchen has rustic-looking terra cotta floors and cherry cabs, and she things the Hoosier's old and grubby looks don't fit. She's right, but of course that was the point (at least in my mind). I'll figure out how to put photos up at some point, but I thought I'd ask for advice on the question currently vexing us.

The Hoosier was painted a blueish gray color, with blue stenciling on the top doors and on the panels alongside the top doors. The paint appears for all the world to be original--the worn areas reveal raw wood underneath, the tambour doors are painted the same color on the inside and out (even in the cracks), etc. I'm waiting for my copy of the Kennedy book to be able to ID it to a particular year, but I'm quite confident that this thing is wearing its original finish.

As I said, however, my wife is not a fan--her position is that we should repaint it if we're going to keep it. Actually, she wants to replace it with a faux-cherry hutch from Target (sleeker lines, but mass-produced in China--ugh), but I'm resisting. My question is how much value should I expect to lose if we refinish this piece? The current finish is definitely worn in places, but it's more "dirty-old" than "ugly-old." I could try to replicate the stenciling, but I fear that there's no way to avoid it looking weirdly "new" when I'm done. The piece also has the original flour bin (minus the sifter cap), the spinning spice rack, the cutting board, the bread drawer, original hinges and latches, and the original enamel counter surface. All told, I think it's a pretty good specimen, and I really want to keep it if I can convince my wife it's worth it. Is it worth re-painting it to hold on to it, or is that killing it to save it?

Comments (12)