SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jwestbury_gw

Will restricting root growth cause faster ripening?

jwestbury
12 years ago

I live in the great Northwet. After yet another dismal spring and middling summer, I found myself disappointed, a few weeks ago, with my overall tomato yield for the year. I may have harvested a gallon of ripe tomatoes, and even that is being quite generous.

It does not particularly help that I live in one of the coldest parts of one of the coldest counties of the coldest-in-summertime state in the main 48, of course -- even our blackberries did not find themselves ripening until perhaps the first week of September. And I've all but given up on eggplants -- the last two summers have been worse than normal, certainly, but I don't find it reasonable to take up garden space with eggplants when my three plants produced a grand total of two eggplants. Two very small eggplants.

Curiously, however, my grandmother, who buys her tomatoes in seedling form at the store, root-bound, and proceeds to plant them in quite-small (five-gallon or so) containers, was awash in cherry tomatoes. True, her house is slightly warmer, but her plants were started later, were poorly fertilized, and were treated badly! Conversely, mine were never root-bound, were well-fertilized (Steve Solomon's COF in the garden, a good liquid fertilizer while they sat under my grown lights), and... yielded nigh nothing.

So this makes me wonder -- will tomatoes (and other plants, I suppose) manage to actually ripen fruit faster when their root growth is more restricted? Except in particularly warm summers, which one can never really expect around here, I suspect that a small plant with a higher percentage of ripe fruits would serve me better than a large plant with a much greater number of unripe fruits. Indeed, some of my plants never once ripened a fruit this year, though they were all quite large (even a few of my determinate varieties grew to four or five feet). In these cases, even one ripe fruit would be preferable!

My thinking is this: Typically, a plant uses energy gathered from the sun and nutrients found in the ground to drive further root and leaf growth. The energy stored in the leaves is then used to produce and ripen fruit. In a situation where roots can no longer grow larger, and where leaf growth is thus restricted by root growth, it seems to me that a larger portion of incoming energy would be used to ripen fruit.

Of course, I suspect my thinking is wrong, but if someone could tell me so, and tell me why, I would appreciate it!

(I could have said all of that in four or five sentences, but it wouldn't have been nearly as fun, would it have?)

Comments (3)