SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
justanotherguy_gw

Entitled (lazy) roommate w/ ? behavior towards GF

justanotherguy
17 years ago

Ill try to make this short lol

I bought the house I live in co-op with my parents because my credit isnt great, we bought it as a fixer-upper and I was the fixer and upper. I was also working 40 hours a week at the time to pay my half. A roommate also moved in which alleviated all pressure from my parents other than their name on the mortgage so all was fine. If the bottom fell out we could sell the house and they would be no worse off since the value greatly increased. (REAL fixer upper)

Eventually that roommate moved out. I had a friend of a couple years who wanted to move in. When he moved in a year ago it was understood that the living arrangement is just like an apt would be, everything half and half. Cleaning, yardwork, whatever, we share. We dont share food or anything personal, but we are supposed to share house supplies like TP, light bulbs, etc. Bills, and needed home repairs are covered by his rent and generally repairs are fixed by me anyway. For a few months now I have been out of official work, Ive been doing odd jobs to cover the bills. Main point about that is, no extra financial strain has been placed on him at all and the living situation is secure. So thats the basic scenario.

Since I havent been working an official 40 hours a week, he has felt entitled in the sense that he doesnt have to do any work around here. This covers anything from yardwork to vacuuming to dusting. The way he sees it is if he doesnt make the mess he doesnt clean it, and obviously this only covers pop cans, plates, and well thats really about it. He thinks that because I dont work 40 hours at a job it means I should deal with those things. Like, if I work 20 hours and cover my bills, I should spend 20 hours cleaning, and whatever is left over he will help with. A month ago we got over a foot of snow dumped on us and he expected me to shovel his half of the driveway too. Just before the snow, he even came out and told me that he hadnt cleaned anything for a month just to see how much I cleaned and he wasnt happy with my cleaning performance because the place wasnt spotless. Obviously he thinks I am his maid (in case you are wondering there is no extra relationship here). So this issue has come up between the two of us already and he maintains that he doesnt need to do anything.

Kick him out already? I know what the answer is, but for some reason I just need to hear it from some unbiased people first I guess. It sucks because we were friends before hand, but I cant allow myself to be walked all over just for mortgage help.

Comments (11)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH