SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
flwrs4ever

UPDATE: Secret Santa Seed swap thanks and games #6

flwrs4ever
14 years ago

Here is a new thread to post thanks, chit chat, and play games...

thanks to all of you for makin this swap SOOO much fun !!

Comments (151)

• ggwrn
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Agnella and Carol, I know how you are feeling. There are at least 4 cards that I sent that have not made it to their destinations. The people have posted about receiving other cards, so I am pretty sure they have not received them.

Ginger

• poisondartfrog
    14 years ago

I am embarrased to report that I have at least three cards I have not properly thanked the senders for yet. I inadvertantly left them in a friends car who lives 60 miles away and I won't have them in hand again until next week. I promise I will follow up when I have them in hand.
    TGIF,
    Alana

• Related Discussions

UPDATE: Secret Santa Seed Swap 5 ( thank you and games)

Q

Comments (25)
    Apologizing profusely for being late in thanking the following for such pretty cards and seeds - Debby_1 - an old-timey Christmas tree with old-timey ornaments within white cameo on green - generous pack of pink impatiens and Pennisetum 'Purple Majesty', even though the envelope was only hanging together by 2 corners - looking forward to finch conniptions so much near a big pot of pink impatiens. NikkiNeel & Sarah Kate sent a cute home-made card with a snowman and Dwarf Blue Curled Kale seeds, so I can give next winter's snowman a green, ruffled hairdo heehee. He'll have red eyes from overdoing eggnog from seeds saved (hopefully) from Sunflower 'Prado Red' and eyebrows from seed saved from Sunflower 'Autumn Beauty'. Clitoria Double White (love white flowers so much) might lend a winter viney necklace from which to hang icicles. KatKni - On an embossed, cut-out card, Santa is walking down a snowy slope, with a red-capped songbird perched on a snow-laden evergreen, conversing with a toy clown and horse in a brown sack on Santa's back. The murky, dark purple of the hyacinth-bean vine, together with white lace flowers of Cilantro, will wonderfully complement the orange of Calendula and earlier brilliance of moss roses in my garden next summer. poisondartfrog - A 19th-century homestead opened up into an awesome treasure trove of seeds. I don't know what it is about color shadows on flower petals, but they fascinate me. Papaver somniferum "Giant Double Cream", "Impatiens scabrida, Helianthus 'Italian Green Heart', Mirabilis 'Lemon Swirl" & Tagetes 'Alumia Vanilla Cream' all involve blushes, specklings and swirls of palest yellow shadowing white petals that hopefully will delicately spread blazing deepest gold from Callistephus 'Princess Hilda' to a pale yellow gold dahlia. Agastache mexicana 'Champagne'' will catch a few glitters and Nasturtium 'Alaska Raspberry' will thread its way up through them with darker tones. There will be sky-blue in the vicinity from Blue Woodruff, Nemesia 'Aegian Sea', Viola 'Miniola Heart Aqua' and Platycodon 'Axminster Streak.'. Portulaca 'Happy Trails' will strew its gem-colors at their feet, and Datura 'Purple People Eater' will hulk over the entire ensemble making sure everyone minds their p's & q's. Earlier in the season, Digitalis purpurea 'Dalmatian; will lurk in tree shadows, and over a sunny, dry wall, pink Lavandula angustifolia 'Pink Elegance' will waft its scent down to passers-by. Well, obviously I'm not speechless, but I can't thank everyone enough for all the amazing, thoughtful cards and seeds they sent to me. I loved participating in this swap and hope to do it again next Christmas. ps - I sent 4 additional cards along with the others on 12/21 and hope they made it to where they were going.
    ...See More

UPDATE: Secret Santa Seed Swap #7..games, and thank you's

Q

Comments (150)
    I'm so glad to hear that the seeds I sent out are making it to their new homes and two more cards with fantastic goodies have arrived to my home. Alana (poisondartfrog), thank you so much for the Argemone! I've really been wanting to try some of these but have been having a heck of a time finding seed. And the Pentapetes phoenicia, oh my goodness - this is the first I've heard of this species but as soon as I received the seeds I started reading everything I could find on it and this is most certainly my kind of plant. How absolutely gorgeous and I'm obsessed with the Monticello gardens and Jefferson's work as a gardener so it's so perfect. And last, but most certainly not least, the Ipomoea nil 'Sunrise Serenade' - this looks like an absolutely stunning variety. I'm doing a fence of Ipomoeas next season and this will look gorgeous there. Maria (elf7), thank you so much for the gorgeous card and the round carrots are absolutely perfect! They grow fantastically in the rocky soil here and I also love to grow them in containers and hanging pots. They're incredibly amusing. And I'm putting in a cutting garden and very much look forward to growing the dahlia zinnias there. ~Amanda
    ...See More

UPDATE: secret santa seed swap #8, thanks, and still some games

Q

Comments (150)
    Someone mentioned ppl not posting. I hope nothing is wrong to stop a person that I sent to in CA from posting. If there isn't a reason, I think it is so disppointing to NOT post that you at least received. (If you are ill I am sorry post when you can) It is nice to acknowlegde at least you received whether you list what you got or not, although I think that is even better listing the seeds as well. GIVE CREDIT to the person for who and WHAT you received. That is just common courtesy, if for some reason you can't post what then at LEAST give credit to whom it was that sent you something. That person didn't have to take their valuable time to send anyone anything but they did and for some it took them HOURS to do it, some even took from their personal stash just so YOU could have a few of YOUR wants too. BE KIND and repay with a thank you to whomever it was you received from, is that too much to ask? OK, off the soap box. PRAYER REQUEST PLEASE: Last night I watched a house just across the highway burn. I don't know the people, they really live across a 4 lane HIGHWAY from me, but the way our place sits we could see the top and part of the front of the home and the flames were so bright coming out of the roof. We heard the sirens and bunches and bunches of Firetrucks swarming their home. I watched for about a minute as my heart went out to that family, and I had to come back in, I am not a gawker of tradegy. It was one of the nicest brick homes in this neighborhood. I don't know how much it burnt, I haven't been able to bring myself to go look today. I just feel for that family, whomever they are. I can't imagine what they lost. I hope everyone got out, I don't know that either. All I know is it broke my heart and I am still having to choke back tears. It is too close to Christmas for this kind of thing to happen. It is terrible. It is bad anytime, but to me losing everything around the Holidays is more so, esp. Christmas time, SO please add this family whomever they are to your pray list. Thank you all, Fran
    ...See More

UPDATE: secret santa seed swap #6, thank you's

Q

Comments (150)
    Monica, Paula, Deb-Godsgardener, Theresa---wow, beautiful gardens, thank you for sharing your pictures. Theresa, you know your pics could make great Christmas cards or have they already? Deb, I'm saving your site, wish I was there at least in time for some lucious grapes, love em, all those tomatoes and roses, pink clematis, beautiful. No pictures yet, sort of poor-woman's garden, bird bath made from 4 cement blocks put together, holding a bottom tray from a large flower pot, refilled daily, gathering place for many critters besides the birds, platform bird feeder reinforced with clothes hanger wire---witholds the coons, always can see birds and butterflies, occasional stray cat...and most of the flowers still in bloom, guess our rewards for bad summers. Love those pictures and must run- just saw mailman pull over, smile. Bea WISHING BRIGHTNESS (have lots of the words stashed)
    ...See More
  • booberry85
    14 years ago

I'm in the same boat too, regarding cards that were sent but haven't reached their people yet. A little more than half of the cards I've sent haven't reached people yet. I think most of the people I sent to have been regularly posting when they receive cards. I sent out my first wave on Dec 2and the last wave on Dec 9. I'm thinking that the early snows last week in the mid west has caused delays.

Delays! Delays!

• highalttransplant
    14 years ago

Toni, you are welcome for the card, and I will tell Elijah that his artwork is appreciated. Last night, my husband and I came home to find that he and his cousin, who is visiting from out of town, had made a huge snowflake garland, and draped it across the entire living room. It was like a scene out of Elf, LOL!

Thank you, Melinda (ilovefarac) for the card and two kinds of wallflower. Can't wait to wintersow them.

I think only about 1/2 of the folks I sent to have reported receiving them, but it's such a busy time of year, I figure most have reached their destinations by now, and they just haven't had a chance to check in.

Bonnie

• Melinda Hagen
    14 years ago

Another 2 cards today! Yeah!
    Rane-Grow sent me summer squash-which I love!
    And chitownlady sent me pink petunia and snapdragons!
    You can both bet these will be used! Thanks so much! Melinda

• bagardens (Ohio, Zone 5b)
    14 years ago

Got a card today from Lisam627 she sent Tiny Tim Cherry Tomato and ABC Potato Leaf Cherry Tomato. I am very excited about these. I have been wanting to grow some kind of small (pot size) cherry tomatoes for a while, for whatever reason I haven't grown any yet. Thank you very much. I can not wait to grow them.

I have many more cards that will be on their way today. I actually sent them out a few days ago, but I got them all back yesterday. I was so upset. My other ones that I had mailed I had taken into the post office to make sure they got the right amount of postage. They told me that 3 stamps was enough so I was very upset to see this bunch returned. I had to put 4 stamps on them all. If I would have known it was going to cost that much I would have done it differently. Anyhow they will be on there way.

• loisthegardener_nc7b
    14 years ago

2 cards today!

From chitownlady, I got a very appropriate card saying "Let It Snow" (we are supposed to get 8-12 inches of snow this weekend), with morning glory "Split Personality" and false solomons seal seeds.

From yotetrapper, I got a nice card, with maltese cross and chinese forget me not seeds. I am looking forward to growing both of these, especially since I discovered the maltese cross blooms the first year after wintersowing.

Many thanks to you both!

Lois in PA

• nottougly
    14 years ago

I received a wonderful card today from lisam627 with clematis seeds.
    Thank you so much for the H. F. Young and the Miss
    Bateman.

Faye!

• quiltingfox
    14 years ago

Received a wonderful Christmas letter and passion flower seeds from Katsgarden864 today. This is going to be a new plant for me and I am so excited about it.

Best to you, many thanks, and Merry Christmas!,
    quiltingfox

• daisyb
    14 years ago

This Secret Santa Swap has been so much fun! I got more cards this week!

daffodillady - sent me Shasta Alaska Daisy, Mixed Hardy Hibiscus, and Formosa Lily. Thanks Beth - just what I wanted!
    yotetrapper - I can't wait to wintersow the Cardinal Flowers. You're right Angela - maybe we are distant cousins!
    aphroditelaughs - Thank you for the Delphinium seeds and the Razzmatazz Echinacea Ellie.
    ishareflowers - Something for my shade garden: Tiarella Silverado and something for my red and yellow garden: Red Astilbe. Thank you Lisa - you know what I like!

• ggwrn
    14 years ago

I received a card today from ilovefarac, She sent creole and black krim tomato seeds. Thank you very much. I am really excited about all the new varieties of tomatoes I will be planting. I'm picturing myself having so many tomatoes that my friends will run when they see me coming because they are afraid I'm bringing them more tomatoes. I can't wait!! :)

Ginger

• jas_il
    14 years ago

I got more cards. Wow it's really fun.

Ilovefarac - Tall ageratum with nice Christmas card. I love ageratum. Thanks a lot

yotetrapper: Cute chrismas card with christmas tree and wreath with Sweet peas 'Elegant Ladies', Royal family, Petunia star purple, and Laura bush. I love sweet peas and petunia. Can't wait to try them. Thanks a lot

margarita10: Cute flying snowman card with Impatience mixed colors, Petunia mixed colors, flowering kale and sweet william commercial packs. Wow these are all my favourites and I can't wait to grow them. Thank you so much.

I think my cards also did not make it to their destination since I didn't hear anything. I took them to post office and added 20c stamps more with each as the person on the counter said. Hope they are not lost.

• daffodillady
    14 years ago

This is turning into a great Christmas for me, and all you wonderful GWers are the majority of my blessings. I recieved two more cards today!!

yotetrapper- sent me dwarf red plains coreopsis and red cypress vine. My 6 pound pomeranian-mix is named 'Yote because she looked just like a scraggly little coyote pup when I first got her at a mistreated 10 weeks of age. She is not sure how she feels about me getting cards from a "yotetrapper"- LOL!! Love those red coreopsis pictures. Thank you so much.

chitownlady- sent sunflower Jade: at only 5 ft tall, it ought to be fine in a pot- yippee and thanks!! Loved the ornaments on the card (-:

• lindaruzicka
    14 years ago

I received today:
    ishareflowers: cute snowman card with stachy's hummello (been a long day, might now have transferred it incorrectly), cosmos daybreak, hardy hibiscus..I love cosmos and last year was my first for hibiscus, they were awesome.

rane_grow: pretty card with pinetrees and luna blush hibiscus..can't wait to plant these

lisam627: lovely religious card with lavendar lady and rosemary..wonderful seeds

rbrandy:santa claus card with ratibida pinnata (I have to look these up) oregano (never have enough of that) hosta august moon (I'm going to try to gorw hosta from seed this year) daylily mix (I have developed a fondness for daylilies)

thank you so much fellow gardeners! I really appreciate it!!

• aphroditelaughs
    14 years ago

I got a card today from ilovefarac. She sent asclepias syriaca and Lion's ear. Thank you so much! I just looked up the Asclepias, and one of its medicinal qualities is to treat cough. This is very welcome right now, as I have had a stupid cough for a month, and actually pulled a muscle coughing in my sleep! Next year, I will have an arsenal of medicinals to ehlp me get over whatever germs come my way.

Ellie

• dirtdiggin
    14 years ago

lol Ginger...reminds me of a signature on a post from a thread ....

"Summer in Lake Wobegon is the only time the Lutherans lock their car doors when they are in church. It's to keep someone from leaving a bag of zucchini on the front seat."

I'm so looking forward to a pantry filled with rainbow colored canned heirloom tomatoes...sounds so awesome! Can you imagine all those jars of different colored tomatoes? I wonder if they'll keep their colors...we shall see :)

Merry Christmas everyone!

• ggwrn
    14 years ago

dirtdiggin, before my mother passed away she really did grow so many tomatoes that she ran out of people to give them to. She would can a couple of cases of mason jars worth of tomatoes and still had bags and bags to give away.

Ginger

• dirtdiggin
    14 years ago

Ginger, I think that's just awesome! Love the thought of nobody going without....could you imagine growing enough to feed an entire town? I think I have enough tomato seed to do just that lol. But I'm so looking forward to getting them all in the ground. Well a few of each type that is lol. Still have lots to share and trade ;)

• flwrs4ever
    Original Author
    14 years ago

B-I-N-G-O

Bingo words for Friday are......

Christmas tree
    egg nog
    friendship
    dasher
    dancer

*****PLEASE realize mail is always a bit slow this time of year, and although i ask, not all will post a thanks !! Your hard work, is much appreciated !!

Merry Christmas to you all !! Id love to see some pics of all ur cards...hint hint..lol

• sandy2_gw
    14 years ago

I received 2 more cards today from:

Lisam627 thank you for the lovely card w/scabiosa & clematis seeds

also

gmom2-6boys thank you for the great card with white/purple datura

Can't wait to plant all the seeds I have gotten!

Thank secret santa's
    Sandy2

• booberry85
    14 years ago

Three more words until I get bingo!

The tomato gurus are going to be jealous! Today I received Snowberry Tomatoes & Amazon Chocolate Tomatoes from LisaM627. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

• graanieb
    14 years ago

Had one gift in the mailbox today, very nice, made me feel special, thank you Kym for the wishes and book of quotes ( " Christmas Wishes From Your SECRET SANTA" ), blessed and joyous Christmas to you and all.

Aphrodite, hope your cough disappears soon. Good remedy from my grampa - mix honey, lemon juice and a shot of whiskey- was added color to, bottled and labeled as cough syrup....but really now, found more precise ingredients on line:

HOMEMADE COUGH MEDICINE

Mix together:

1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
    1/2 tsp ground ginger
    1/4 tsp ground cloves -opt
    2 T honey
    2 T apple cider vinegar ( or lemon juice?)
    4 T water

Take by the teaspoons-tablespoons as often as needed.
    Do not give to infants under 12 months of age due to honey.

Helps with pains, fevers, lowers blood pressure and more.

Garlic pills and Vitamin C help.

Be well and fun will happen,

Bea

• perkybarb
    14 years ago

Wow another Christmas Card with seeds today. ilovefarac sent a very nice card along with two different aster seeds. Thanks so much Melinda.
    Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.
    Barbara aka perkybarb

• dirtdiggin
    14 years ago

Hey Bea...here's one for you...

Pluck a nice amount of fresh lemon balm leaves...you can get them nearly year round. And in the GH, you can get LOADS year round. I love Lemon Balm...it's so fresh scented and offers relief for these symptoms....

Steep leaves in a cup of hot water 3-4 minutes.

Relieves headache, nausea and many symptoms of cold and flu. Amazing how it works for just not feeling up to par.

Infused mints work well too.

• gmom2-6boys
    14 years ago

More cards today.

Thanks to all

daffodillady sent Lantana, Marigolds, Gloriosa Daisy, Zinnia.

ilovefarac sent Swiss Chard Bright Lights and Fordhook Giant.

lisam627 sent Gaillardia Baby Cole and Giant Pansy.

Thank You all so much. This is great fun. I love gardening but the sending of these cards is the best.

Merry Christmas
    gmom

• cryptid
    14 years ago

Man-O-Man! I can't believe how incredibly busy-n-distracted we've been lately! Apologies to all!

More thank you's,...

From Bonnie (highalttransplant) - A wonderful homemade "snowflake" card, featuring bright, cheerful flower pictures inside, along with a happy snowman artfully drawn by her son, Elijah (Nice job, kiddo!)! Love the sentiment, too: (outside)"Are you dreaming of a white Christmas..." (inside) "...OR something a little more colorful?" - As for the seeds,...YESSS, more Cherry Brandy Rudbeckia and Alma Paprika, along with Broadleaf Sage and "Harvest Moon" Echinacea!! Fantastic! Thanks loads!

From Ellie (aphroditelaughs) - First, what a lovely, leafy card! God Bless you for supporting the "Child Welfare League of America"! - Thank you so much for the wonderful seeds;..."Spilanthes" (aka "Eyeball Plant", "Toothache Plant"), an herb noted both for its medicinal *and* culinary uses. How kewl is *that*?! Never grown or used this fascinating specimen before, so really look forward to giving it a go! ... "German Chamomile" - Bought a plant start of this 2 years ago. Stupid me, I forgot to save any of the seeds! Thanks uber muchly for making up for my error! LOL! ... "Dill Bouquet" - For pickling, seasoning and attracting Swallowtail butterflies! ... "Calendula" (aka "Pot Marigold", "Scotch Marigold", "English Marigold") - Another pretty, herbal winner! Good for planting in veggie gardens to deter insect pests, Calendula flowers are also used culinarily and medicinally. I actually grew this, several years ago, and even saved a buncha seeds,...only to misplace them somewhere (*some* track record, huh?! LOL!). Thanks, Ellie, for giving me a second chance with *this* puppy as well!

From Lisa (pumkingal) - Wotta FANTASTIC, sparkly, festive handmade card combining Christmas and gardening!! Wow!! Thank you, firstly, for *creating* that wonderful card, and, of course, for the "Sweet Yellow & Red Pepper" and "Large Red Cherry Tomato" seeds! But hold on, folks,...that's not all! Lisa also included a *totally kewl* foam "Gingerbread Photo Ornament Craft Kit"!! Trust me, within the next couple days it *will* be assembled and on our tree!

It's incredible,...you *WONDERFUL*, generous people, here on GW, and this Secret Santa Seed Swap in particular, have truly, *literally* kept our otherwise waning Christmas spirit bouyed-up more than ANYTHING or anyone else this holiday season. Not that things are absolutely horrible or anything,...it's just, you know, mostly "this-n-that" kinda stuff, sort of blind-siding us a bit here-n-there. Like today, we got a card from my brother, Gene (and his wife), wishing us a Merry Christmas, etc., while at the same time *finally* informing me that our eldest (and *only other*...) brother, Terry, died this "Autumn" following 4 months of severely declining health. - Christmas card tally: Family (so far) = 2 ... GW Secret Santa Seed Swap 2009 = 10 - GW TOTALLY rocks!!! BIG OL'
    THANKS, again, from Elly, Roy and I, God Bless you all!!!! :)

-Cryptid

• crisann
    14 years ago

I went mailboxing today and received two more cards --

margarita10 ~ sent purple balloon flower, giant cactus zinnia and tennessee purple coneflower. Thank you sooo much!

dorisl ~ sent some mixed hosta seeds -- I love surprises! :) Thanks!

This swap is so terrific -- I never expected to get so many seeds and wonderful cards!

Only need five more words for bingo! :)

crisann

• klorentz
    14 years ago

Helloooooooooooooooo Everyone. A bit of a late night report here folks since I was napping tonight for the longest time.

Thank you to:

kaendee for Wenks Yellow Hot pepper and Red Ruffled Pimento and the cute Home made Christmas card.

canyonwind for Chives,Dajora Large White Trumpet and White Sage.

LisaM627 for Basil Mignette and Chives

riley 17 for Cinderella's Carriage pumpkin.

You all sent really nice cards and I know I will enjoy the seeds you sent.Thank you so much.

Kevin

• pumkingal
    14 years ago

Hey all got a cute card from Dusty314
    also sent me gloria cosmos thank you so much and merry christmas
    to all of you this swap is bringing our garden family together for the holidays thank you all,, we grow--we seed- we trade-- we have fun..Lisa

• dorisl
    14 years ago

Thank you to Lisa for the really cute manger card, one of my faves (!!!!) and the columbine and Persian Centurea seeds (PINK!!!)

D

• graanieb
    14 years ago

Hey Toni, we love lemon balm too, my daughter makes great iced tea ( not these days, 42 deg on the patio), didn't know much about it's medicinal values, sure will try it next time, sounds simple, thanks a bunch.
    Lemon balm leaves rubbed on the skin repel mosquitoes, did you know? Smells good so worth a try no matter.

~***~ Heart made gifts are the best ~***~

Seeds and all we send, especially good wishes from the heart fit the above quote from the Secret Santa Book Kym sent.

Another one:

~***~ May this season bring overflowing pleasures that endure-may you experience the greatest blessings from the simplest gifts. ~***~

Enjoy the weekend...Sun is out in La, wow!

Bea

• agnella
    14 years ago

Okay, I sent my last few cards out BUT my little post office was closed (don't know why) so I had to use the electronic postage machine. It seemed like it wasn't giving me the right postage amount so I put another stamp on them and I'm hoping they make it without postage due. If you get a card from me with postage due, let me know and I'll cover it.
    Maybe the post office is holding all our cards until Christmas Eve and everyone will get a windfall of cards and seeds the day before Christmas. Wouldn't that be nice?
    People in my house are trying to get sick so I'm off to try the cough remedy. I think my hubby got up every hour. If the cough remedy doesn't work, duct tape will have to do.

• Melinda Hagen
    14 years ago

Hello! Another round of thank you's!!
    Angela/Yotetrapper for the California Bluebells tropical surf and mixed petunias!
    DorisL/ for the fireweed!! And a cute homemade card!
    And last but not least-
    GrannieBea for the great seeds-red dbl. zinnias, crepe myrtle mix, coral colored 4:00's, ornamental pepper, and dbl. pink confederate rose!
    All you ladies made my day!! I love all the seeds and you can bet they will be planted! Some starting next week!!
    Thanks a million, Melinda

• hdiperna
    14 years ago

GrannieBea (or anyone else) ~ you got a recipe for a kid friendly Christmas drink??? I am looking for something special and easy!!

Hope everyone is having a safe weekend. We got about 2 inches of snow. I hope that we get a little more so there is enough to play in.

Heidi

• wipe_yo_feets
    14 years ago

*cough*.....*hack*....*cough*

Oh excuse me....I covered my mouth...I don't want to contaminate the forum.

I stopped by to see if I could find Chitownlady to offer thanks.

I got a pretty card with seeds in it from her yesterday. The seeds were anise hyssop, and ornamental grass.

I must say that chitownlady has the most beautiful script...er...handwriting. I'm really envious about that.

*cough*....so sorry.

Thank you sooooo much chitownlady for the card, and seeds all the way from Chicago, or ChiCARgo as some people like to say it.

Merry Christmas Y'all!!

• Kathy Bull
    14 years ago

This is such a wonderful swap! Wonderful cards with warm holiday greetings and seeds for the new year!

I can't believe it, but I received even more cards! You are all sooooo generous!

From Margirta10 came a lovely snowman card with a snowman angel and "BELIEVE" on the front. Wonderful sentiment for this time of year! Inside were packets of Giant California mixed zinnias, white phlox, Pastel Carpet mixed alyssum and Tall Deluxe mixed snapdragons. Thanks so much - I love them all!

A Happy Holiday stocking card came from Melinda/ilovefarac with one of my all time favorites --Hyacinth beans. woohoo!
    Thanks, Melinda!

Karendee sent a hilarious card. Santa is standing with a shopping cart full of flowers and long shopping list. On the front it reads, "Seeds 'n Greetings!" Inside were another one of my favorites - mixed larkspur! Thanks, Karen!

Funny larkspur story -- maybe some of you have had this happen to you... The first time the larkspur reseeded, it went outside the flower beds and into the yard a few feet from the original beds. Some of them were in such numbers that I went out and surrounded it with bricks so my DH wouldn't mow it down. I told him I was going to expand the flower beds - and that's what I did. Couldn't have had a better reason to expand the flower beds!

Thanks so much for all the seeds and warm wishes!

~Kathy

• just1morehosta
    14 years ago

Agnella,ha ha, love the duct tape idea but as little extreme,ha ha
    Try just a teaspoon of Organic(if you have it)honey, with mothers Apple Cider Vinegar(found at the health food store, you can google Mothers Apple Cider Vinegar and read all about it,good stuff.
    Other wise, use the tape,ha ha
    cAROL

• wishdesign
    14 years ago

Wow, and the cards keep coming! I can't express how much joy this swap has brought me, not just from receiving but from reading all the happy messages everyone has been posting when they receive cards. It really brings to mind the real spirit of Christmas. And hugs to everyone who is going through a difficult time or is feeling under the weather this year.

Much thanks to:

chitownlady - for a gorgeous handmade (?) card and a huge package of marigolds and morning glories! Yay!

dorisl - fireweed (my honeybees thank you!) and clematis "Savannah" seeds (I just looked this up, and OMG they're pretty!)

Thank you both so much!

--Jean

• Mary Leek
    14 years ago

Hello to all. I apologize for the delay in letting my sweet, very special elves know their cards have arrived at my mailbox. My husband had surgery on Dec. 1 and is now in ICU at the hospital. Things didn't go well but he has turned the corner and now making improvement day by day. I've been spending most of my hours at the hospital and when home, too tired to do anything but fall onto the bed and sleep.

A bright spot during this time has been discovering the cards in my mailbox. I've never participated in a seed swap and this experience has been such a day brightener for me.

A very special thanks goes out to:

Sandy2 - the lovely Christmas Card and wishes are so appreciated and the Pipevine seeds will grow to feed more baby butterflies this coming season. Thank you so much.

RBrady - such a wonderful surprise with Christmas greetings and "3" packets of seeds. Oh my, what fun it will be to watch these 'new to me' seeds grow; Rudbeckia Triloba, Heuchera 'Palace Purple' and Ratibida columnifera 'Mexican Hat'. I adore the look of all of these plants and can hardly wait until spring. Thank you for your kindness to me.

rane_grow - Merry Christmas and happy gardening to you, too! I thank you for this fresh 'Black Seeded Simpson Lettuce' seed. What a fantastic winter gift to receive. woohoo, I'm going to try to get some growing in my small greenhouse.

ishareflowers - boy, do you ever and packaged with the neatest little card! You've been very kind and generous to me and I thank you so much. Coreopsis 'Cream Brule'; Red Astibe; Huechera 'Caramel or Marmalade' and 'Blackout'; all beautiful new faces for next years garden.

I had earlier received two cards, for which I sent thank you emails.

yotetrapper - a lovely Christmas card with warm holiday greetings, along with Pipevine (look out mama butterflies, I'll have lots of food for your babies this spring) and Sea Oats seeds. The Sea Oats are totally new to me. I want to try and grow them in a big container on the deck so I can enjoy the soft, rustling sound they are reported to make. My thanks once again for your generousity to me.

poisondartfrog - warm wishes for a great Christmas and New Year, along with flower seed I can't wait to try and grow in my garden, White laceflower! Thank you once again for this gift of lovely blooms.

I could not have received seed more wished for than the seed you've all shared with me. You have made my Christmas this year so very special.

Warmest wishes and Merry Christmas to the entire gang of caring and sharing gardener's on this forum. This is truely what the spirit of Christmas is all about.

Hugs, Mary ... mary_littlerockar

• ggwrn
    14 years ago

I received a card from rane_grow today. She send chocolate cherry tomato seeds. Thank you! My tomato garden plans are getting better and better!

Ginger

• Kathy Bull
    14 years ago

This is such a wonderful swap! Wonderful cards with warm holiday greetings and seeds for the new year!

I can't believe it, but I received even more cards! You are all sooooo generous!

From Margirta10 came a lovely snowman card with a snowman angel and "BELIEVE" on the front. Wonderful sentiment for this time of year! Inside were packets of Giant California mixed zinnias, white phlox, Pastel Carpet mixed alyssum and Tall Deluxe mixed snapdragons. Thanks so much - I love them all!

A Happy Holiday stocking card came from Melinda/ilovefarac with one of my all time favorites --Hyacinth beans. woohoo!
    Thanks, Melinda!

Karendee sent a hilarious card. Santa is standing with a shopping cart full of flowers and long shopping list. On the front it reads, "Seeds 'n Greetings!" Inside were another one of my favorites - mixed larkspur! Thanks, Karen!

Funny larkspur story -- maybe some of you have had this happen to you... The first time the larkspur reseeded, it went outside the flower beds and into the yard a few feet from the original beds. Some of them were in such numbers that I went out and surrounded it with bricks so my DH wouldn't mow it down. I told him I was going to expand the flower beds - and that's what I did. Couldn't have had a better reason to expand the flower beds!

Thanks so much for all the seeds and warm wishes!

~Kathy

• Iris ( ranegrow ) z7 Maryland
    14 years ago

Hi everybody ! We received 10.5 in of snow since last night, my yard is a winter wonderland , I needed to go do some christmas shopping this weekend but I have to admit that its nice to be snowed in ( my driveway and the local roads still have too much snow on them for my peace of mind and I'm staying in for now ) I've been enjoying watching the birds eat the seeds we set out close to the house where the snow wont cover it up ... the cardinals are so beautiful , their red plumage against the white snow ... we even had a pair of bluebirds in the backyard ! They are so pretty !

Its good to hear everyone has been receiving the seeds I have sent out ! All the warm thanks and great comments about the seeds have been the best part of this swap ! I am sure everyones gardens next spring are going to be awesome !

I received 3 cards yesterday... from Linda , Margarita10 and Daffodillady , Linda sent gerbera daisy seeds ... I love them, have never grown them from seeds, can't wait to grow them !!

Forgive me but I accidentally put away the seeds Margarita10 and Daffodillady sent ... if memory serves me right they sent coleus, shasta daisy and zucchini ;-) thank you so very much !! they are all favorites of mine !

Thank you all so very much !

~Iris

• maozamom NE Ohio
    14 years ago

I received my forth card today.

Ilovefarac sent me geum seeds with a lovely card with a Peace dove. Thank you Melinda. The mailman delivered it just as I was leaving the house, so I had about three of hours of anticipation before I had a chance to open it. That made me feel like a kid again, and that doesn't happen very often.

mao

• graanieb
    14 years ago

What a nice weather, seems even brighter after having rain for so long!
    Mary, hope your husband has a good recovery, all the best wishes to you all.
    Wipe yo feets, Aphrodite...and everyone else with coughing spells/colds... yes natural remedies work but antibiotics most often work better and faster, hope you get rid of it soon.
    Toni, glad you liked my send, tried to send something new to almost everyone, leaving many Night Blooming Jasmines and Salvia seeds for later on to offer for stamps.
    Melinda, good seeing you enjoyed card and seeds, it's very nice seeing my cards are getting to you all, slowly..have sent out about the same amount as I've received.

I've gotten 1 card with seeds today and it is great, gave me ideas for next year's cards.
    Thank you April -BaGardens, your Golden Retriever -what's his name? is adorable, pictures of your garden in the back are wow! Checked your page and understood more, you and family have a lot of work during growing season, have your blog in my favorites and will check more later, so many interesting things. Good idea wrapping seeds with poinsettia wrapping paper..couldn't resist and opened it before Christmas, risking bumps to grow on my hiney, lol

Curly parsley and Red Kale Healthy and Happy Holidays to you all.

Bea

• quiltingfox
    14 years ago

Received a beautiful Christmas lights card today from Chitownladyd which included Iris Siberica and Grass seeds. Thank you for sending some Christmas cheer my way.

Best to you, many thanks, and Merry Christmas!,
    quiltingfox

• graanieb
    14 years ago

Heidi, here are a couple of drinks for kids of all ages, myself included, smiles.

ORANGE JEWEL

1 can ( 6 oz) frozen orange juice concentrated, thawed ( or freshly squeezed orange juice -for us a must these days, as there are plenty of Mandarins, Navels and Satsumas)

1 c milk
    1 c cold water
    1 pint frozen vanilla yogurt or ice cream
    1/2 c sugar
    1 tsp vanilla
    10 ice cubes

Combine all ingredients except ice cubes in blender container; blend until smooth. Add ice cubes; blend until thickened. Serve immediately.
    Yield: 6 (1- cup) servings.

FRUIT SHAKE

1 c milk
    1 c fresh or frozen unsweetened strawberries ( or other berries)
    1/2 c fresh pineapple chunks or canned in juice and drained
    1/2 c plain low-fat yogurt
    1 tsp sugar
    1/2 tsp vanilla
    4 ice cubes ( omit if using frozen strawberries)

In a blender container, combine all ingredients except the ice cubes; blend until smooth. Add ice cubes; blend until thickened. Yield: two ( 1 1/4-cup) servings.

Have fun!

Bea

• sandy2_gw
    14 years ago

Boy I am really loving this!

Received another card today from:

Lisa831 sent a beautiful wintery church scene card with pink hollyhock seeds, thank you so much.

I can't wait to try all my new seeds that all my secret santas have given me.

Need to keep all the suggestions of drinks and concoctions for aliments copied somewhere easy to get at. All great suggestions. Happy Holidays to all

Sandy2

• grovespirit
    14 years ago

Aloha all :)

Grrr. When it rains it pours... My computer went on the fritz the past several days and I could not post!

I have actually also been physically unwell for the last few days too, so any cards that I have received recently are still sitting around unopened. Will open them, and post thank-yous, later tonight, or tomorrow. :)

Can't do it now, too busy. I have workmen in my house right now installing some badly needed appliances. I had been living with no functional dishwasher and a fridge which had internal bins that would either freeze shut or if turned down to a lower setting to not freeze, the milk would spoil. All this might be OK for some folks, but definitely not OK in my view.

When the installation is done I am going to have to focus entirely on my Elfing, because I still have cards & seeds to mail out by the deadline! :)

TTYL, folks. Have fun!
    Grovespirit

• bashful_gardener
    14 years ago

Hello, everyone! I got a card today from Lisa831 with Cosmos Sensation mix - thanks so much! I love cosmos - they're such a cheerful flower I have to smile just thinking about them growing in my flower beds this summer!

• lisa831
    14 years ago

I recieve 2 cards yesterday Thank You Both for the cards and seeds

Got a card from Lisam627 she sent Gallardia "Monarch" and Aster Fred Aleate

also

Got a card from Ilovefarce with Ornmental Varingata pepper and Ornmental Twilight pepperes, Will have a whole garden of nothing but Ornmental Peppers,it be lovely