SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cynthianovak

H-strip plants that stay where you plant them

cynthianovak
13 years ago

What do you think about when you can't sleep? I think about how to plant the refrigerator full of tulips so they provide a really long sppring show to passers by.

The Passengers in the Assisted living and school buses need to be able to see them.

Then I think about what to do about my errant moonflowers. They were a great show again this past summer, but they drape over the curb into the street. Now that I know that's an offense in Arlington, I either need to take my chances that I will not get turned in again this coming summer. Or, I need to plant something else.

Sooo, what do you plant in poor soil, often dry and hot. I have some asters that will return in the fall. I have salvia greiggi, but it doesn't look very good in the summer. daisies are gone early, zinnias don't hold up to any real rain there, roses hibernate there in summer. Ornamental peppers aren't very pretty in the hotest months either.

Orange cosmos is happy there, but it falls over. Butterfly weed is happy too, I already have patches of it and tithonia, but they are too tall for street level.

Any ideas? What would you do? Hope that irritated neighbor gets over it? It will be a shame to destroy the moonflowers. One flush was 100+ blooms strong, others were as many as 70 this past summer.

It's a lot to ask but I really need to come up with some solution so I can shift back to counting tulips bulbs.

c

Comments (11)