SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
2ajsmama

Are my plants going to stay runty?

2ajsmama
12 years ago

My first year growing heirlooms/OP and starting from seed. My seedlings were smaller than the ones my cousin used MG on, but he gave me some of his. I didn't get them transplanted til mid-June b/c of all the rain. The ones I got from him are now a little taller, but most of them not much. I planted deep since they were so leggy (all of them, the ones he started in Feb and the ones I started in Mar, planning on late May transplant).

The Glaciers are getting big (relatively, planted those 6-8" deep too, now most are 24-30" tall and quite a few fruit). Of course they're determinates so they are big and bushy, as I pointed out to my dad this AM when he expressed concern over the size of the indeterminates.

I'm getting new top growth on the indies, but not many suckers. They're more like 12-15" tall (some I started from suckers I clipped off when they were still in pots are smaller). I haven't suckered any since transplanting. Many are flowering (or at least forming flower buds), and I've even got a fruit here and there (1 BW, couple of Romans, some cherries, 1 German Johnson) - in fact, I've got quite a few on a couple I think are yellow pear from my cousin, and of course the 4th of July (already picked a couple beginning of the month).

The soil where they are planted is low in N, I plan on fertilizing about once a week, June 27 foliar feed (was still rainy then), July 6 did a root drench, both times used 1/2 strength MG for Tomatoes. Gave up on organic this year - though I do have a 40z sample of Neptune's Harvest to try as a foliar feed after next week's expected T-storm. Don't have enough for a root drench and don't want to spray when it's so dry.

July has been dry, we had a lot of rain (6"!) in June, incl. a couple inches the week after transplanting. So I watered deeply July 5, had about 1" rain on the 8th, watered with 3.5 gal (just to keep them through the night) for 70 plants (new transplants got more) on the 12th, and then watered deeply (25 gal) yesterday. I've barely watered the Glaciers at all (just ran the soaker hose last night). My dad says he waters his garden every night - argued with me when I said that just encourages shallow roots. Back in June this area was retaining plenty (too much!) water.

So am I doing something wrong, or are these just behind (I noticed our blackberries are behind - they were ripening by this time last year!)? Are indies just slower-growing than determinates? Is there hope they will reach 5-6ft before frost and give me decent amount of fruit?

Comments (7)