SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_9507502

Should it stay, or should it go?

User
8 years ago

My husband and I moved into our house in Autumn of 2013, and the garden was an elaborate and neglected mess. I spent most of that fall cutting out dead wood, and trying to figure out what I had.
In the spring of 2014, I discovered a thorny bush - which grew 14' canes over the course of the summer - at the path to our front door, and later in that year it had a weak showing of dog roses.

Unsure of what to do, I didn't touch the dog rose, except to train the early canes horizontally to a trellis, the later canes were so wiley and room on the trellis was running out, so I bent the long canes in half, and taped the ends to the bottom of the trellis, and left it at that.

This spring, I didn't touch the plant at all, though new canes are sprouting up and getting in the way of the path. I didn't want to jinx the fact that there were a ton of buds. Now, I have a beautiful array of light pink flowers.

I realize now, after much more research on what to do with this plant, that it probably wasn't supposed to be a dog rose at all, that this is likely the root stock some showier rose was grafted to, and in the failing of the original plant, now the root stock is thriving.

I am new to gardening, and I love the discoveries I'm making, and the things I'm learning, but now I'm wondering if I should settle with my dog rose, or if I should dig it out for something else?

I'm looking for thoughts, opinions or personal experiences, as all of it is valuable!
Thank you in advance!

Comments (6)