SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
roselee_gw

Speaking of persimmons ...

... which nobody was -- except me :-)

Anyway I just bought some of the Fuyu variety at Costco because I'd never tasted that variety before and was considering planting one. I read that it is the most popular in Japan, the one most commercially grown in the U.S., and the tree is recommended for this area, but -- YUK! Maybe the one I ate (out of six in the package :-( was not representative of the variety, but if they ARE then it's no wonder most everybody to whom I mention growing persimmons say they don't like them.

On the other side I've grown Tamopan and Hachiya and have eaten Eureka from a friend's garden. They are delicious! Those three varieties are astringent until they are soft and then very sweet and pudding like with a unique fruit flavor. I cut the top off and eat them with a spoon.

Fuyu is non-astringent and it is said they can be eaten when hard or when softer also. But who'd want to? Has anyone on here tasted a good Fuyu?

BTW, Patty told me about a nursery in Castroville that has them for $30 and half that bareroot which will be coming in Janurary.

Are there any members on this forum growing Persimmons who would like to comment? In my experience they are easy to grow, very prolific, no bugs bother them and they have beautiful large leafed shiny green foliage which turns a brilliant red/orange in the fall. The astringent type will keep in a cool garage for two or three months, and even longer. They slowly ripen in storage and can be eaten over a long period of time.

Comments (12)