SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bburr25

American persimmons: fall color, yard tree, etc.?

bburr25
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Hello,

I'm a bit new here, but I hope I'm in the right place for this.

I've been looking into the possibility of getting (or rather, convincing my parents to get) persimmon trees, not only for fruit, but also for the fall color I've heard they have. I've determined that American persimmons are probably the best fit for our tougher growing conditions here. But from all I've read, I have several questions (listed most —least important):

-Some sources seem to indicate that American persimmons have good red-orange fall leaves, while others say only certain cultivars do, while even others say that they don't have much to speak of. Does anyone know much about all this? I am hoping to find something with good color, but don't know what to expect beforehand, and don't want to be too risky with "trial-and-error."

(As a side note, I have read about how the cultivar "Wabash" did in fact have good fall color, but isn't available anymore, is it?)

-I know right now that for us, a fruiting tree in our front yard is out-of-the-question, but I wondered if it might be fun to have one fruitless male persimmon as a front-yard landscape tree for variety, especially if it looked decent in the fall, and in case we needed/wanted a pollinator. Besides not being easy to find, would it be a good idea?

-Does anyone know how hardy some of the D. virginiana X kaki hybrids out there (e.g. Nikita's gift, Rosseyanka) really are? I've wondered how those might fare in our climate. Also, can anyone tell me if they taste better/different than the plain American ones?

-If our area is subject to frost anywhere from early-late October, should I be too worried about selecting an earlier-ripeneing variety, or does the cold not have much of an effect on the fruit?

Thanks for your feedback!

Comments (2)