SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
njbiology

What are your favorite American persimmon cultivars? (taste-wise)

njbiology
15 years ago

Hi,

Thanks to Dennis, from Michigan (denninmi)(cultivar: 'Meader'), and finding a few wild growing specimens in the woods, I finally got to find out how American persimmon (Diospyros virginiana) tastes. I was impressed, particularly with the 'Meader' (at least) over the wild, smaller ones I found in the woods in the late fall.

I've been reading, essentially, every single article I can find that refers to common American persimmon cultivars and most of the information found online seems to be unoriginal, coming from a small hand-full of original opinions, mostly completely senseless in terms of distinction: i.e. one cultivar is said to be "very sweet", whereas another "taste: excellent", and yet another "delicious". So, basically the comparisons between cultivars found online are nearly invalid.

I found personal testimonies on this site of greater value. According to these:

*Some find 'Meader' to retain a little astringency, even when ripe; this is confirmed by Lee Reich (who I later contacted to confirm his preference for 'Szukis').

*Some find 'Wabash' to be better then a number of popular cultivars, consistent with one site which states this cultivar is sweeter then Garretson.

*Some find 'Szukis' (cf: Reich, et al) to be the best tasting.

*And there are other opinions on this and other forums...

So, please post your opinion comments being sure to list the different cultivars you've tried to show comparison.

Popular cultivars, supposedly chosen for taste: John Rick, Yates (Juhl), Szukis, Wabash, Garretson, Morris, Killen, Goldensupreme. I'd be curious to know about 'Prok', as it is said to be as large as 3" and originally found in NY state.

Comments (26)