SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shane11_gw

American persimmon report

12 years ago

I thought there might be a few members that might find my ongoing trials with American persimmons interesting. I have decided to remove the varieties 'pipher', 'golden supreme', 'blue', and 'evelyn' from my plantings. All of these are productive but the quality of the fruits do not come close to 'early golden', 'yates', and 'ruby' which are exceptional in flavor and productive. I am very short on space so only the best can stay.

'Meader' is also a good variety if weak wooded but has the highest sugar content of all the ones I have tried. It is not seedless as claimed at least in my climate.

My 'szukis' which is going into its 5th or 6th year has been all male for me so have not gotten any fruit. I may be removing it soon since I do not need a male tree.

I have planted others such as 'dollywood', 'craggs', 'weber', 'wabash', 'morris burton', but none have fruited yet. I will be planting 'elmo' this spring.

I also have 'john rick' but I cannot discern much if any difference between it and 'early golden'. It is a good variety.

'Blue' and 'szukis' make especially ornamental trees and I imagine 'wabash' will as well.

Of my 3 favorites so far 'yates' ripens first sometimes starting at the end of August followed closely by 'early golden' Their ripening overlaps quite a bit. The fruit of 'yates' is slightly larger than 'early golden' and the flavor and flesh color of these 2 are very similar though 'early golden' flesh is more clear. 'Ruby' has the largest fruits of these and is a later ripening variety extending the season into November and sometimes into December. The flesh color of 'ruby' compared to the other 2 is more yellowish/orange. The other 2 being darker orange.

Comments (5)