SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
schoolhouse_gw

What is this bird???

schoolhouse_gw
11 years ago

Drove down to my Mom's tonite to tell her that her phone wasn't working. When I got out of the car I heard this sound. She lives in a very small retirement village that has a woods nearby. She says she's been hearing it for awhile now in the mornings too but thought it was a cat and never could see it. When I went to leave we both went outside and I spied it right away on the very top of a tree. I told her it had to be an owl but we aren't sure. I walked around to get a better look, but it was dark and didn't want her elderly neighbors to call the cops. :) At first we thought it had a long tail, but when I walked closer I could see that it did not. It seemed to have a more streamline head, as much as I could make out it's silhouette. It ruffled it's feathers a couple times and we thought it would take off but it kept on calling. I was so excited. No binoculars to take a closer look.

Came home and Googled "night bird that sounds like a cat" and got this Utube hit. It is exactly the sound.

Here is a link that might be useful: video of bird calling in the night.

Comments (4)