SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beachplant

Greetings from Galveston!!

beachplant
15 years ago

Hello! We are alive and well. Phone service is on and off, lots of dead spots. Few land lines. Some of the grocery stores have re-opened, just a few other business', nothing on the Strand and most of Broadway.

No water in the house but the yard is toast. At least 80% is dead. The largest tree in the back went down & took most of the back garden with it. Missed houses, fences though!

I'm at the community center, they have computers available. AT&T's building had over 12' of water in it and rather imploded, it will be months and months before the internet and phone service return, it's the main station for everything. Just down the street from my brothers house. He had 8' in his house and the house sits 4' off the ground. My aunt's house was underwater. Cousin had 2' in her second floor, the car floated around the garage and knocked a hole in her wall. Mom had almost 2'. We sent her to my sister in Delaware. There was waist deep water in my yard. I just finished cleaning out one pond today, GROSS!

What the salt didn't kill the tree did, then the lack of water and then going from full shade to full sun did in what remained. It's a huge mess. The plumeria in the ground look bad but seem to be coming around, they were all knocked down, the ones in pots seem to have fared much worse and look dead. All the cupheas died. About 1/4th of the angel trumpets appear to be alive, one is leafing out. The mulberry is blooming! Weeds survived just fine. Most of the bananas died-dwarf and super dwarf cavendish, velutina, lavendar..the yellow seems to be making a comeback. Roses about 1/2 and 1/2, duchess de brabant is leafing out & has buds. All moms roses died. All of the pride of barbados' died, both at my house and at hers. Thevetia went down & the city ripped up the stump, along with the plumeria and the day lillies.

Most of Jim's bonsai survived. And his brick wall he just built. These huge cement pots floated all around the backyard.

As soon as I figur out how I'll post pics, I've taken tons and the ones I took with a friends digital camera she e-mailed to me.

Rumor is UTMB is going to lay off 4,000 people and move most of it's facilities to the mainland.

Tally HO!

If I don't answer don't worry. Jennifer has my cell phone and I'll come up here to the center when I can to update. And YES! We'll take any plants you want to give us. The Mexican petunia did great and is blooming, the hummers are eating it up. You can't find a feeder anywhere.

Comments (18)