SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amyinaustin

Tall plants for narrow bed?

Amy Austin
13 years ago

I have a long narrow bed down the east side of my Austin house. It receives a ton of sun, but the soil is a fairly depleted poorly-drained clay-type.

I had intended to grow cannas down the length, but my first batch is being ravaged by *** (caterpillars? grasshoppers? this doesn't look like leaf-rollers as the young, new leaves are fine). I've also decided I'd like something a bit less thirsty. So my requirements are:

- Full sun

- Fairly drought tolerant

- Fairly pest tolerant

- Tall enough to cover the skirt of the house somewhat

For the right plant, I could amend the soil or widen the bed up to two feet. I love lavender, but I killed the only one I tried to grow and it seems they are a bit difficult. I know that morning glory grows very very well on our lot, and I considered placing a trellis against the back of the bed for morning glory and maybe creeping thyme across the front. But I think that I'd prefer some large bushes...Sage? Pride of barbados? What grows best? Something native would be perfect � thought I must admit that the Turk's cap and lantana I have nearby are pretty "weedy" looking.

I love the look of large succulents, and considered doing a row of yucca with silver ponyfoot to cover the bed. But I'm assuming yuccas are a) expensive b)require more than 2' to be happy.

Thanks for any advice!

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (10)