SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joannemb

Suggestions for a narrow bed (1 ft.) Tall perennials...

joannemb
14 years ago

Looking specifically for white flowering perennials. I was thinking David Phlox, but do you think I'll be able to keep it from getting so wide by trimming it down? I wonder if I'd have to trim so much I'd stop it from blooming... and then there's the mildew issue (if it doesn't have enough room it'll be more apt to get it right?) The perennials will be behind a boxwood hedge (it is at about a foot high now, but I will not let it get higher than 2 ft.)

So far, I think Delphinium will work (but as a novice am worried about staking them, and growing them as so many people have found them hit or miss.) Japanese Anemones could work right? They don't appear to get too wide in the pictures I've found. They don't bloom till Aug/sept. so I'm still in need of a summer blooming flower. I plan on using siberian iris (they get tall enough right?) for Spring blooms. Another idea was peach leaf bellflower, but that can get kind of bushy too right? And, I'm not sure it will be tall enough behind the boxwoods.

Hollyhocks need to be staked as well.... are they any easier to grow than Delphinium? Quite honestly I can't really tell the difference between the two.

My other thought is ornamental grass to fill in the gaps, but I'm not a huge fan of the look, and am not sure it fits in with the formal English white garden look I'm going for.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Comments (9)