SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
davek913

Narrow perennial bed

davek913
16 years ago

I had a strip of lawn by our driveway between ours and the neighbor's house. I got tired of hassling with the care of this one little strip of grass isolated from the main yard. Pulling the hose 40 feet and trying to set the sprinkler so it watered this one patch, moving it a few feet to water the rest and still having half of it end up in the driveway. Putting fertilizer down only to have the neighbor follow suit and end up burning the grass when he overlapped mine.

I got rid of the grass and created a 6.5'x41' planting bed in which I've planted 1 Holmstrup arborvitae, 4 Arctic Fire red twig dogwoods, 3 Nick's Compact junipers and one dwarf globe blue spruce. I planted them somewhat towards the back instead of centering them so I would have some room for some perennials, at least in front of the dogwoods.

I like tulips and lilies and was thinking about them but our street runs almost directly north/south, straight as an arrow and we have a large farm at the south end. When we have windy days when they're southernly it's like a wind tunnel. We had such a day recently and it beat the heck out of some 2' tall tulips we have about 4 feet from the house.

It's likely I'm only going to plant a 5'-6' space in front of the dogwoods as the junipers will spread over time and I want them to have their own space. That would make a 2.5'x5'-6' bed in front of each dogwood, accounting for the expected spread of those shrubs.

I tried to mix it up a bit by planting some differently shaped evergreens along with the vase-like shape of the dogwoods as well as offsetting them somewhat I have this tendency towards symmetry and precision centering and spacing that doesn't look bad, but I feel as though I get a little too ordered. I would appreciate any suggestions for this little bed regarding shapes, colors, textures to help me stay out of this pattern.

I have pictures of the before and after as well as a side view of the bed. It may be kind of hard to visualize in the pictures because the dogwoods just went in, are on the small side and don't show up very well in the pictures.

{{gwi:30210}}
{{gwi:30211}}
{{gwi:30212}}

Comment (1)