SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jen__jf

hot showers while remote/wilderness camping

jen_
19 years ago

Every summer we go out for a week at a remote wilderness campsite. We don't hike in but go by boat. We take our tents, kids, dog, cooking gear/food and tow the kayaks thirteen miles from the main camp. Our nearest neighbor is at least a mile away and there are no houses or roads. We see a lot of loons, eagles, and moose. I always say I could stay forever if there was no need to shower. I considered purchasing one of those hot water on demand systems just for that week. If it's hot the sun shower works great but the weather usually doesn't cooperate! Most years I just take environmentally friendly soap and jump in the lake! The problem with that is I hate cold water!

Last year I found a solution that works great and doesn't take up a lot of space. My sunshower is huge as it's the biggest one I could get but folds up small. I put some water in the sun shower that was straight from the lake. Then I heated some on the stove for awhile and poured that into the sun shower. I hung it from a tree and it was perfect! It was hot and there was enough water for everybody! I still used environmentally friendly soap (Dr. Bronner's) but what I luxury! It was near the fire and the area is so isolated that I only needed to hang a tarp on the windy lake side! It was the perfect way to end a day of kayaking and camping at our beautiful lakeside wilderness site!

Comments (4)

Sponsored
My Kitchen And Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars48 Reviews
Virginia-Based, Leading Kitchen and Bath Remodeler Since 1994