SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bettinahildegard

Maine Primitive Camping - Anyone have ideas?

bettinahildegard
18 years ago

Hi folks. We're driving up to Maine (from FL) mid-July. Got a small fishing boat and kayaks. We're starting out on Lake Nahmakanta around Millinocket and then Parlin Pond near Jackman. Now I need to fill out the remaining 1 1/2 weeks. We really enjoy wilderness camping. Hubby wants to camp on water and fish, I want to see wildlife and do some exploring. Backpacking is out, unfortunately, so it's either car or boat camping. I'm really getting concerned we'll have problems getting sites. The ones that sound really good all seem to be taken, even the reservable boat camping sites. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I have looked at Scraggly Lake, Richardson Lake and Lake Umbagog right by the NH border). Has anyone been there?

Finally, hubby wants to spend a few days on the shore. Should I go to Acadia Natl Park and try for their campgrounds? I so hate having to listen to RV's, though. I looked at Mount Desert Campground, but their waterfront sites require a weekly reservation (besides being $45 a day-Wow!).

Any and all help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Bettina

Comments (4)

Sponsored