SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jessyf_gw

Postings from Paney Camp

jessyf
16 years ago

OK we admit it. We are guilty. Guilty of having so much fun and Teresa being so organized and a great Dough Master that we have not had much time to post (and the unbelievable heat has worn us out).

(Part of the problem in posting is we are all busy doing bread. At Phyllo Phun, I took on the job of snapping photos, uploading, cutting/pasting links and typing and didnÂt do much phyllo since IÂm familiar with it. Here our moments to sit are limited! IÂm sure weÂll do more later, and Karen is taking plenty of photos)

As I type in the living room while we are taking a break I cannot get the group to shut up to dictate to me, LOL.

The group met last night  Lee, Charlotte and I were the last to arrive (we flew in together and managed to get seats next to each other!) and we gathered at the B&B for dinner. Everyone wore red crocs (except for Lee and Charlotte  they donÂt fit). YouÂll see pictures later. Appetizers were black bean salad with tortilla scoopers, homemade pimento cheese, and homemade crackers. We enjoyed a spread of barbequed chicken, chopped pork BBQ, baked beans, spicy cole slaw, fruit salad, and lots and lots of iced tea. Dessert was chocolate chess pie. Libations provided was peach sangria and iced tea. After dinner we went over the schedule and exchanged gifts. Teresa gave us canvas bags and a folder with our recipes, and we also had camp supplies  bread bags, dough scrapers, shower caps as bowl covers, emergency chocolate, and Lee/Max designed and brought Paney Camp aprons for everyone! I brought Âjibbetz  cooking themed Croc bling, the same ones dgkritch gave me when she was here a couple of weeks ago!

Before we retired, Teresa showed us how to make a Âsponge  yeast, water, mixed, and allowed to sit overnight for our rustic bread. She uses shower caps from the dollar store to cover the bowls. Gotta love it!

This morning bright and early after breakfast (apple bread pudding, bacon, fresh fruit, coffee and OJ) Teresa assigned us to our stations and we proceeded to work in the B&B kitchen in pairs: Cathy and Karen, Sherry and her sister Lori, Lee and Charlotte, and me and Teresa.

The first bread we made was a ÂDaily Shaker BreadÂ. It was a loaf bread with milk so it was soft and delicious. We made eight loaves  the B&B people were drooling and we wish they would have taken one, we have SO MUCH bread of course we would share! The next loaves Teresa had us make was a next step from the sponge  a French Country Herb Bread  was to mix more water, yeast and flour which was then put aside to rise for four hours. Although the B&B is air conditioned, it is still hot in the house (85, I think) and the breads are rising FAST!

We then enjoyed a B&B provided lunch of turkey and vegetarian wraps, more fruit salad and Costco cookies (hey they are GOOD!). We then piled into CathyÂs rental van and made a quick visit to the Guilford Mill where we all drooled and sweated. Many of us bought flours and mixes, and Teresa replenished our supplies. It was so hot we were withered after just an hour out.

We returned and rejuvenated at the B&B (the mill is just down the road). Teresa then had us separate up into teams again and we each made a different bread: I am making sweet orange rolls, Cathy and Karen worked on a true 100% whole wheat bread, Sherry and Lori are creating a ÂStruan (multi-grain) loaves, Lee and Charlotte pulled together AnnieÂs butter flake bow knots.

The French Herb baguettes dough was lightly punched down, and Teresa showed us how to rolled them. Then they were allowed to rise, then Teresa taught us to slash them. As I type we are devouring hot rosemary and herb baguettes. I say to cancel restaurant reservations  the bread is fabulous enough for our stomachs and souls!

As we leave for the restaurant in a few minutes, the Struan is being shaped into loaf pans, and the orange sweet roll dough is in the fridge to put it on hold until after dinner.

(Are you tired yet just reading this?)

More laterÂ.after dinner we should hopefully do the White Elephant gift exchange Cathy is organizing!

Comments (76)