SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dmarieok

Be careful with trapping...might get called in...it happened to m

dmarieok
15 years ago

You will not believe what happened to me! We have been trying to see our house since June, but have not been able to....last year I trapped over 260 HOSP and we pretty much had no issues with them. Then all of the sudden a bunch showed up late fall...not sure from where, but they have been bugging the blues, and so I decided to get out the trap and see if I could reduce the number. I put the repeater trap out with millet outside, a tuna can with seed, and a tuna can with water on the inside. I do this so that the first ones with not only be decoys but keep any native birds from getting trapped, plus I don't want to be cruel.

Any method I have used has been approved by the veternary society or the humane society as not cruel.

Anyway, the other day, one of my son's friend's came to get him for school and heard the bird's making noise (I had already trapped at least 8) and asked my son why they were in the trap. Being honest, my son answered honestly and told him the truth...Mommy traps them to reduce the numbers and kills them by "......." so he went home and told his mother. I notice the morning of the 17th that all of the birds are gone, so I ask my son about it and he tells me what he did, kind of, so I figure either the Mom or his friend came over and let them out.

This afternoon when I get home, their is a message from a sherriff to call him back. He informs me that someone called in an animal cruelty complaint for our address, yes that right...I got turned in.

Anyway, by the time the sheriff came to investigate, because someone had let the birds out (that certainly weakened the case) and since the case had food and water in it, and since he had done his homework about the Migratory Bird Act.

I am telling all of you in order to just urge you to be diligent for the ignorant people...hide your traps where they can't see them and always say you just "relocate" the birds no matter if you do or don't...the said that I white lie in this situation is not always bad to do. That completely goes against my nature, but there are people out there that won't understand if you do what you do for the best for Bluebirds and Purple Martins and Barn Swallows and Carolina Wrens and Tree Swallows and so on...

I am angry and hurt...not only about being called in to the police when I have spent so many hours taking care of the Blues, and now two years with Purple Martins. I do all I can to help them, including a practice that all of us who love birds struggle with. I never have been pulled over by the police for speeding, I try to live the best life I can and this happens...

So, be wary of where you place your traps and never choose the time people ask about trapped birds as soap box time...and talk to your kids to defer all questions to you so they won't be put on the spot. I don't want anyone else to feel like I feel right now.

There are people who just will never understand even trapping to move the birds...

Everyone take care and whatever you do, this has become such a litigious society. Instead of coming over to talk, someone decided to call the police on our family...unbelieveable!!!!

Please pray that nothing goes wrong with my interview tomorrow. He talked to me for an hour and was very nice. He is going to finish the report and close the case tomorrow...but my emotions are in turmoil about what to do next.

Thanks everyone!

Diane

Comments (20)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living