SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mom_of_4

emotional break down because I cant get ss to care about school

mom_of_4
16 years ago

In case anyone doesnt know or remember my oldest ss is 10 and in the 4th grade. He is adhd and currently is NOT doing well in school at all. Infact, (as sad as it is) I will be surprised if he doesnt fail 4th grade this year. If he does fail he will now be two grades behind and his younger brother will be in the same grade as him. (Something I am afraid will be a huge blow to his self esteem) When the kids were living with us we were on top of things every day and the kids knew that they couldnt get away with not doing their homework and what not. Now, that they have been living with their mom things have gone downhill greatly. Homework is not being done on a regular basis and I can tell (because they have tried the same thing with us lately) that she is not checking if they have any or if it is really done when they say it is. Lately, when they say that to me I go behind them and check and more than half the time it is not done.

Last week, the oldest had a call home from his teacher saying that he hasnt been doing classwork and his homework has not been getting completed. So, the teacher sent home work for him to do. After school, I sit ss down tell him to get his homework done give him a time to get it done in (which you have to do with him or he will sit and daydream the entire night without getting anything done)...Way before his time is up he tells me he is done with his homework. So, I check it. Out of all of his homework the ONLY thing that was done was a single worksheet. I asked him why his he didnt do his other homework... "I don't know" "Where is the work the teacher gave you to do?" "Right, here" "What are you supposed to do with it" "Study it" "Did you do that?" "No" "Why not" "I don't know" I look at that work and realize he has a worksheet with non of the answers on it and chart for the human body to study the bones on. "Why didnt you answer the questions on this worksheet" "Because he didnt tell us to he just said to take it home to look over it for the test" "How can you look over something that has none of the answers on it" "I don't know he said to do it in class but I didnt have enough time" "You didnt have enough time to answer a single question but you had time to draw boxes all over the paper... did you tell the teacher you didnt finish so that he could let you take it home" "No"

I was so frustrated. It is not like he doesnt know what he is doing. He just doesnt do it. And, it completely baffles me of all the days you would get your work done it seems to me like it would be the day that you got a call home and knew you were in trouble. I just don't understand it. I work and work and work with him ... we talk about what he wants to be when he grows up and what he has to do now to be able to do that... we let him know that things like tech team and football require him to keep his grades up. But, it is like he just doesnt care. No sooner do we get into a big thing about school he turns around and trys to scam me with his homework. Well, I ended up breaking down after all of this.... I mean like crying which is not something I do very often but, I feel like we are failing him because with the way things have been going this year I really feel like he is going to fail. And, if he doesnt fail I am afraid that the only reason will be because they put him on special standards and won't hold him back. To me, that does him no good either because he will be even more behind the next year. I am just at a loss as to how to make him care about school and take pride in his work. It is not like I can go to school with him everyday and stand there and make him do his school work and its not like I can just quit my job and homeschool him either. (Which is what I am going to have to do if they fail him because I refuse to let him be two grades behind) And, I am even further at a loss because it seems that whatever good work he does with me ... for example his essays... I check over them and make him rewrite it when he does his half way only write a paragraph that doesnt have the first complete sentence or capital letter in it..... gets totally undone or is really do good because his mom doesnt check or make him do it. I am so afraid that we aren't doing everything we could be doing for him... but I just don't know what to do. He is an incredibly smart boy... he just doesnt give a crap about school... but at the same time gets upset when he gets bad grades.

Anyone out there with similar experiances or words of wisdom??

Comments (20)