Robins and grape jelly

kendra2003

For years I have put out grape jelly for the Orioles and Catbirds. I have never seen any other bird at my grape jelly feeder. This year I have a Robin that will shoo away the Oriole and consume a great deal of jelly. This Robin comes many times a day for the grape jelly. He/She takes a beak-full and tips his head back like he's drinking at the bar. I certainly don't mind, but I find this very unusual. Has anyone else seen a Robin that likes grape jelly?

SaveComment14Like1
Comments (14)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mehearty

No I haven't, but they do like grapes & berries.

Save    
cjc45

I had never heard of feeding jelly to birds until I joined this forum. What kind of feeder do you use?

Save    
kendra2003

cjc45,

I just use a heavy ceramic bowl so it won't tip over when they land on it, won't blow off in the wind, and it is easy to clean. I put one on my deck railing and another on a little wooden shelf I made in a tree.

Save    
cjc45

Well, I guess I'll have to forego it for now, the raccoons would get what the squirrels left.

Save    
rachel_frome_ky

I had a "Robin first" myself.

We were eating lunch on the veranda of the Louisville Zoo African Outpost Restaurant on Monday when my daughter's boyfriend asked, "Is that a Robin behind you picking up crumbs under the table?" I knew he was a non-birder so as I turned around I began explaining that it was probably a House Sparrow, but HE WAS RIGHT-6 ft away a male Robin was scurrying busily around between the table legs picking up crumbs, potato chips, scraps, etc. as fast as he could, stacking them in his beak.

We all stared in amazement for a minute as the Robin continued clearing a clean place on the floor at a frenetic pace, never swallowing anything. Finally I suggested, "Maybe the zoo hired him to clean up the place."
That's exactly what it looked like.

Save    
dzyg

Funny about the Robin, we had a Robin eating peanut butter suet dough this Spring. Never saw that before either. We saw it several times in the suet dish, hasn't been there for awhile now. Maybe the worms were a little scarce at the time.

Donna

Save    
chris8796

I had a Robin develop a taste for white bread this spring. I see them eating cherries often.

I started to put out grapes this year when I had them on hand. Surprisingly, the most common bird I saw eating them were Cardinals.

I have Chickadees that will eat grape jelly and even try to get liquid from the hummingbird feeder. I just put the Oriole feeder back out this week after seeing one in the yard. We'll see who has the sweet tooth.

Save    
smallparticle

I also have Robbins eating the Grape Jelly. Also Purple Finches. I have put Grape Jelly out for the Orioles for quite a few years & have never seen this before.

Save    
joan754

I had a robin last year that came to my grape jelly feeder all the time. He loved the stuff. He also ate some leftover suet that I had put on a plate on the ground because it had gotten too soft. I think robins will try anything lol.

Save    
sparky_10

Some friends who live about 4 miles away have Robins eat their grape jelly. My Robins haven't tried it yet, and I'm glad! Rose-breasted Grosbeaks are, so far, the only birds other than Orioles who go for my jelly.

Save    
cindy warner

I too have a robin that is consuming ALL the grape jelly and chasing the orioles and all other birds away. Any idea how I can chase it away permanently?

Save    
David Marcotte

We have seen the same thing this year. We have been feeding the Orioles for a couple of years with Nectar and Orange slices. This is the first year we have put out grape jelly for them. And darned if there isn't a robin(s) that runs them off to get the jelly. Thought robins were mostly bug/worm eaters. Oh well.

Save    
ZachS. z5 Platteville, Colorado

Robins really like fruits, too. While I have never seen one eat an orange slice I have seen them eat a number of ornamental and edible fruits like strawberries, cherries, etc. They eat a lot of crab apple and mountain ash fruit in the late-summer-fall and once most other fruit has fallen or been eaten they switch to hawthorn berries which persist through the winter. At my house I only put out oranges for the orioles, I don't like to fuss with jelly and sugar water, but we've got juniper/cedar trees as a windbreak and they are laden with "berries" and filled with robins.

Several years ago, when we lived in an apartment, there was a huge flock of robins and cedar waxwings in the hawthorn trees one day in December or January.

Save    
Pat z5/6 SEMich

This is the third year I've had a huge Robin eating at my feeders and not on the ground. Very strange and I'm sure the ornithologists are noting all the new Robin behavior.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Gardening Guides Great Design Plant: Try California Wild Grape for Interest All Year
Sure, it’s stunning in fall. But the spring buds, summer grapes and gnarled winter vines are gorgeous too
Full Story
Gardening Guides Great Design Plant: Sea Grape, a Hardy Coastal Delight
Up to the high-tide line or even indoors, sea grape draws smiles for its looks and cheers for its tenacity
Full Story
Gardening for Butterflies Great Design Plant: 'Charity' Oregon Grape
Giving nectar to hummingbirds and delicious berries to all, 'Charity' is a four-season garden delight that lives up to its name
Full Story
Old-style customer service is our top priority. We’ve been in business since 1994 – over 2 decades serving... Read More
Crystal Blue Aquatics LLC. is a family owned and operated swimming pool company, built on 25 years of experience... Read More