SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nhsuzanne_gw

Devasting Discovery

nhsuzanne
15 years ago

I have been posting recently under newbie questions. Following the advice here I have been see through my first BB nesting.

Earlier this week I noted an adult BB singing softly in close proximity to the nesting box. I assumed the nestling's fledged and "all was well". Tonight, feeling confident that all occupants of the box had successfully pledged (even though I was not able to witness due to working hours), I found the courage to open the box. what I discovered was 2 dead fledglings. I don't think they had been expired for long because they were not stiff. I didn't have the courage to rip into things so I cannot tell what happened, If I find the courage to photograph tomorrow I will with the hope that someone can tell me what happened.

What haunts me tonight is the song that I heard an adult BB singing earlier this week. Perhaps its loss. I need consoling right now.

Should I put the box up again? Or wait until spring? I want to order new boxes and I want specifics. I can't let this happen again,

Comments (11)