SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
skybirdforever

Philosophy Thread – compliments of Zach & Skybird!

Hi all,

Zach and I started philosophizing on another thread, and we’re planning to “continue the conversation here”—but EVERYONE is way welcome to come and add their own philosophies, whether the same or different from ours!

Our “discussion” started when we each posted about how important we believe it is to be “out in Nature”—at all times, but especially now, while there’s so much overload and stress about Covid 19. From there we started getting into Deep Stuff—so to speak! If you don’t want to “philosophize,” but just want to come post about what “being out in your yard” means to you or helps you somehow, please do! Any and all comments about your “connection” with Nature are welcome! Join us!

Since Zach and I were going WAY off topic in the other thread, I’m copying those “off topic” posts here to start this thread with an “in progress” conversation!

Copied from the seed starting thread:

By Skybird: Gardening is, in my opinion, one of the absolutely best things any of us can be doing right now, for so many different reasons. When there are so many things that we can't control right now, it's wonderful to be able to go out into the yard and watch the new growth greening up, to touch the plants that are up already, to look at--and touch--the flowers that are blooming, to feel the sun and breeze on our "winter weary" faces, and to look forward to the promise of a good growing year! When you're feeling like you're on overload with the Covid 19 news, walk out into your yard--even if you just sit out there for a few minutes and look at a tree or the sky! It's the best medicine we have!

By Zach: Skybird, I wholeheartedly agree with nature being wonderful, and powerful, medicine. Not only for our mental health in times of stress, but our spiritual and physical health as well. To me, our modern society’s lack of a connection to the earth is our single greatest illness.

Our species’ centuries-old quest to conquer the land rather than “seeing it as a community to which we belong” has led us to a very unhealthy situation. We have lost sight of the fact that our health and well-being is intricately tied to health and well-being of the “land organism” as a whole. We have wrongly come to believe that our selfish and destructive behavior is without consequence. I honestly believe that our current situation is a jarring example of our chickens coming home to roost.

“Men are only fellow-voyagers with other creatures in the odyssey of evolution...[And] while now captain of the adventuring ship, is hardly the sole object of its quest."

We would do well to heed that last part with a little more earnest.

By Skybird: To go a little bit OT, into philosophy here. The Original Peoples were on this continent for at least 13,000 years, and probably for at least 20,000 years before we “found it.” When the first white Europeans “discovered it,” they described what they found as The Garden of Eden! I’m not sure there’s anybody who would call it that anymore!

A couple years ago when I went out to Limon to do a Perennials 101 class, I started it with exactly what you said above! I started it with: Gardening is good for the body, it’s good for the mind, and it’s good for Spirit! Then I went on to say a little bit about each!

You’re sounding very much “Indian,” Zach—tho don’t try to claim you are—the “real ones” don’t appreciate that much at all! I can’t tell for sure from your comments if you include just “animals” in your concept of oneness, or if it includes the whole of everything—land, water, sky, trees/plants, rocks, and ALL of creation. American Indians (and Indigenous Peoples all over the earth) believe/know the latter. We are one part of ALL things that exist, and if we harm any one part of the whole, we harm all other parts, including ourselves. If all people understood and knew that concept, how very easy it would be to repair all the devastation we/humans have caused. The Indians say: We don’t own the land, the land owns us! They understand that Nature makes the ultimate decisions! We are very small in the Big Picture—as we are being reminded right now!

Regarding gardening! I had my tomatoes “roundup-ed” last year! You’re not the only one who had a catastrophe! This is a new year! Keep your glass half full!

By Zach: “If we harm any one part of the whole, we harm all other parts, including ourselves.”

Aldo Leopold wrote “The outstanding scientific discovery of the twentieth century is not television, or radio, but rather the complexity of the land organism. Only those who know the most about it can appreciate how little we know about it. The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: "What good is it?" If the land mechanism as a whole is good, then every part is good, whether we understand it or not. If the biota, in the course of aeons, has built something we like but do not understand, then who but a fool would discard seemingly useless parts? To keep every cog and wheel is the first precaution of intelligent tinkering.“

When I was in high school I met a philosophy professor from U. Of Wyoming who introduced me to Aldo Leopold. Leopold wrote of the “land organism. In that “organism” and “community” he included soil, water, air, microbes, plants, animals and everything else that exists together here on earth. Now I can’t say whether Leopold drew any inspiration from Native People, I don’t think he ever mentions them specifically but I can say from reading him that ecology, conservation, and land were not merely scientific endeavors but were the basis of his lifestyle and his spirituality.

When I was a kid, we lived down the road from the federal prison at Kipling and Quincy. On the south side of Quincy was a wetland with a grove of massive cottonwoods. One day my dad and I were driving by and someone had drained the wetland and cut every one of those trees into chunks and laid them neatly along the road. I was inconsolable, unable to understand how anyone could be so ruthless and wantonly destructive? To me, those trees were every bit as much of a living thing as I was and killing them was the same as murder. When I was introduced to Leopold a decade or so later, his writing, and the deep spiritual connection to the land he espoused, was able to put into words something I had felt, but was not able to convey myself. All of this has led very much to my path in life and my experiences and my perception of the world. Through spending most of my life outdoors, in nature, I have learned how powerfully healing the land is. I have learned just how interconnected we are to everything around us. As I have gotten older, I have witnessed the destruction wrought by mankind on this earth goes far beyond a pond surrounded by cottonwood trees that were mercilessly bulldozed to build a housing tract. As a young adult I learned (often the hard way) that recklessness and hubris have a way of catching up with people.

End of copied posts!

Let the conversation continue!

Comments (11)