SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thirsty72

Why did a bird's nest just disappear?

thirsty72
10 years ago

I had a small bird (have no idea what kind it was - mom was brown and dad was brown and red) make a nest in a very safe corner of my open porch that is located on a second floor. She had babies and the mother and father took care of them together. One day when I walked out, she flew out of the nest so fast that two of her babies fell into a flower pot below. We scooped them up without touching them with a piece of card stock paper and immediately put them back in the nest. We watched and the mother came back right away and took care of them. It's been about 2 weeks since that happened and they were only hatchlings at that time with their eyes still closed. I have seen her in there everyday taking care of them and all of a sudden today I noticed that the whole nest is gone. Do certain birds disassemble their nest when they are done with it and is it possible that those tiny birds are already able to fly within a couple of weeks? I'm hoping nothing happened to them, but they were very well hidden and not much of anything could get to that nest except other birds if they could even find it. Does anyone know what could have happened to the nest?

Comments (2)