SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
leslieweber

missing egg and late hatching?

leslieweber
12 years ago

My name is Leslie Weber and I live in DFW area of Texas. We have just recently attracted Eastern Bluebirds to our yard. They have already had their 1st brood which was from sometime at the end of April or beginning of May until the 1st week of June. There were 5 eggs and they all hatched fine. All fledged but one got eaten by my dog. We put up another nest box on another fence in our backyard and didn't see the bluebirds for a while but one weekend we left to go to my parents in Oklahoma and on our return we saw the male and female and when I checked the new nest box sure enough there was a nest and 3 eggs. This was on June 20th. She laid 1 more egg after that day. She has stayed on the nest a lot this time. The first time she wasn't on the nest all that much and I was able to go out and observe the nest and take pictures a lot but this time has been different. I thought it was weird how much she was on the nest but figured there must be a reason. I wasn't too worried about it. Now I know the incubation period is between 12 to 14 days. I have been checking the nest as often as they will let me but NO babies yet. Today should be about day 15 and no babies.. I am officially worried. They were not on the nest today but on the fence all morning. I tried to go check on the nest but they were very protective of it. I thought maybe we had babies hatching finally. I finally was able to make it out there and I only saw the 4 eggs. I did notice that one egg had a lighter color on one end and looked like a white ring around the upper portion of the egg. I just went back out to check again. The male and female were not in the area that I could see. I opened the nest box and AN EGG WAS MISSING!!!!!! We don't have snakes in our yard nor are there other predators such as cats or squirrels in the area that I know of. We do have some mockingbirds that give them fits because they are nesting in the front tree of our neighbors house. I looked on sialis's site and read about the heat and now I am really scared. Do you think they are all dead? What do you think happened to the other egg? Do they remove eggs from the nest? When will I know for sure if they are not going to hatch? Will the male and female leave the nest? I am so worried and feel bad that I didn't know to protect them from the heat. It has been really hot.. Over 100 for many days.. :( any info would he appreciated.. Here is my blog if you want to check it out.

Here is a link that might be useful: Weber's Bluebirds

Comments (6)