SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kendra2003

house sparrow question

kendra2003
15 years ago

I never got a pair of blues to nest here this spring, and now it appears that house sparrows are increasing in number. This morning I looked out and there were five of them on my deck (three males, two females). I have never seen this in my thirty years of living here! My question is for those with more experience than me. Wouldn't it make sense to attempt to trap them all fall and winter? Especially when a lot of the native birds have migrated, so it would be less likely to catch a native bird? Also, wouldn't this help alleviate the problems in the spring? It is my understanding that house sparrows do not migrate. It seems to me that it would be better to start trapping them before nesting season. Also, wouldn't winter trapping be more sucessful if using bait since they may be less likely to find food? I tried trapping a male house sparrow that was around here about a month ago, but he would not go near the box once I put in the trap (Van Ert trap), then I never saw another house sparrow until today's five showed up. I'm new at this so I would appreciate any advice from the more experienced folks.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio