SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
knottyceltic

House Sparrow Traps

knottyceltic
17 years ago

I have some questions but first I want to say that the web page that I'm going to post for reference only has nothing to do with me and I don't endorse trapping of sparrows nor do I decidedly oppose the use of traps but I have some questions to ask in order to decide for myself what I think of the practice...

1. What do you think of trapping and destroying non-native birds that damage the nests of say 'blue birds' and kill the mothers and young?

2. Do we have a responsibility to protect our native species from being killed by non-native, aggressive species? (the site explains how to free any non-house-sparrow birds that get in the trap)

3. Does anyone here have/use house sparrow traps?

4. If you do use traps, do you euthanize or do you re-locate? Most literature I've read says relocation is akin to standing in a sinking boat and ladelling water from the back of the boat to the front of the boat...what do you think about that statement?

5. I really do *HATE* house sparrows and would be willing to pay to buy a trap but I don't think i'd be able to euthanize them myself. I have euthanized animals before on many occasions but those animals were extremely elderly, sick or in pain. I'm not sure how I'd feel about euthanizing a healthy animal even if it IS a hellish pest.

Here's the website I was referring to...

http://www.sparrowtraps.net/index.htm

I do Native gardening and have no problem ripping nasty, non-native, invasive plants from my garden and burning them in my firepit but for birds I feel a bit different. I'd *LIKE* to make a difference with the house sparrows...I really can't stand them. They are mean and cruel, they chase native birds from food sources and are bloody murderers in the avian world but I can't imagine how killing a few in one's own back yard can really make a difference... can it? I mean, are they a "territory bird"? Or once you kill them for a few years, won't more just move in and repopulate by the zillions? I looked at the map posted by just that one website showing where their traps are located and it looks like a fair number of really and truely with the ENORMOUS population of House Sparrows in north america, does it really help at all to have a few hundred traps going?

Once again, I want to say that I don't endorse OR oppose the trapping/killing of house sparrows. I'm completely undecided on the issue and curious about how people feel about it. I 'do' *HATE* House Sparrows with a passion but I just don't know if I hate them enough to kill them and if it would do any good anyway.

Thanks for any insights or wisdoms you can offer...

Barb

southern Ontario, CANADA

Comments (10)